Dr. Junjie Niu, PhD
EMS 1125, 3200 N Cramer St.
Milwaukee, WI 53211
Materials Science & Engineering Dept., CEAS
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
Departs of Nuclear and Materials Science and Engineering, MIT
Cambridge, MA 02139
Employment and Education
- Assistant Professor, Depart. of Materials Science and Engineering, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, Milwaukee, WI 2014.8
- Postdoc Associate, Depart. of Nuclear Science and Engineering & Depart. of Materials Science and Engineering, MIT, Cambridge, MA Prof. Ju Li 2011.9- 2014.8
- Postdoc Research Associate, Depart. of Materials Science and Engineering, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 2011.2-2011.8
- Postdoc Researcher, Depart. of Materials Science and Engineering, Drexel University, Philadelphia, PA Prof. Yury Gogotsi 2009.4-2011.1
- University Lectuer, School of Materials Science and Engineering, Shanghai JiaoTong University, China. 2005.06—2009.4
- Ph.D. Zhejiang University 2005
Honors and Awards
- MRS Best Presentation Award, 2019
- Outstanding Research Award, 2019
- UWMF Technology Licensing Award, 2018
- Camille Dreyfus Teacher-Scholar Award Nominee, 2016
- Shaw Scientist Award Nominee, 2016
- Member of “Shanghai Excellent Youth Teacher” training item, 2007
- Shanghai “Chen Guang” Scholar Award, 2007
Welcome to the Niu Group
The Niu Group at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee is dedicated to further understanding of nanoscale science, engineering, nanotechnology and its applications in renewable energy, water-energy nexus, and biomaterials.
- Congratulations! Mingwei’ work ‘A Fast Charge/Discharge and Wide-Temperature Battery with Germanium Oxide Layer on TiCA3 MXene Matrix As Anode’ is published in ACS Nano, February, 2020.
- Xi co-authored work on “An Artificial Sea Urchin with Hollow Spines: Improved Mechanical and Electrochemical Stability in High-Capacity Li-Ge Batteries” is accepted by Nanoscale, January,2020. Congratulations!
- Yingying and Mingwei’s work on “Largely Improved Battery Performance Using Micro-Sized Silicon Skeleton Caged By Polypyrrole As Anode” is accepted by ACS Nano, September, 2019. A US patent filing is also in the process. Congratulations!
- Congratulation! Xi’s work on ‘Iron controllable lithium into lithiotropic carbon fiber fabric: a novel Li metal anode with improved cyclability and dendrite suppression’ has been accepted by ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, May, 2019
- Congratulation! Our paper ‘Acoustic bubble suppression by constructing a hydrophilic coating on HDPE surface’ has been accepted by ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, April, 2019.
- Congratulation! Our collaborated paper ‘A bee pupa-infilled honeycomb structure-inspired Li2MnSiO4 cathode for high volumetric energy density secondary batteries’ has been accepted by ChemComm, February, 2019.
- Congratulations. Xi co-authored paper “All-In-One Sn-Co Alloy As Binder-Free Anode In High-Capacity Batteries And Its Dynamic Lithiation In Situ” was accepted in ChemComm, December, 2018.
- Congratulations to Shuai! Her work of ‘Dynamic charge acceptance and hydrogen evolution of new MXene additive in advanced lead-acid batteries via a rapid screening three-electrode method’ was accepted by Chemical Communications, 3/12/2018.
- Congratulations to Yongsuk! His work on hydrophobic coating was accepted on The Journal of Physical Chemistry C.
- Welcome Yuemei as a Postdoc to join our group in January, 2018.
- Congratulations to Shuai! The work on Sn hybrid composite as anode in long-cycling lithium-ion batteries is accepted by Nano Letters on 12/13/2017. This is the continuing work of alloys in LIBs after we published another Al alloy work in Nature Communications in 2015.
- We successfully moved our Water-Energy Nexus lab to School of Freshwater Science on December, 2017. The Energy Storage lab is still located at the main campus.
- Welcome Jeongbin to join our group.
- Nov. 2017, congratulations to Xi authored paper is accepted in Chemical Communications!
- Congratulations to Stas, who won the 2017 Summer SURF Award!
- Apr. 2017, congratulations to John whose poster “A Novel Two-Dimensional MXene/Sn Composite As Anode In Lithium Ion Batteries With Super-High Energy Density” won the 3rd Place during the CEAS Poster Competition.
- Feb. 2017: Welcome Lanka and Lesley to join our group!
- Congratulations to Xi authored paper is accepted in Nano Letters!
- Congratulations to John, Anne and Jacob, who won the 2016-2017 SURF Award!
- June 2016: Welcome Mingwei Shang as a PhD student to join our group!
- Congratulations to Anne and Jacob, who won the 2016 SURF Award!
- Prof. Liang Qi from University of Michigan visited our group on May, 2016.
- The Energy Storage Group had a successful Workshop on 4/16/2016.
- Feb. 2016: Welcome Dr. Lv and Mrs Yurim Lee to join our group!
- Jan. 2016: Welcome Dr. Kim and Mrs Rhayza Regia Brandao Oliveira to join our group!
Research Sponsors and Collaborations