The People’s Republic of China, 1949

Poetry by Kelly Hao 

You’ve met grandma before, you say, showing me an old photograph. Remember her?  White hair, a vest
to stay warm, face dappled with spots as if the sun, pouring over her face, cried soft tears. Like that time
I turned the page and saw drops inked in the space where someone dies, and from them, a red river. I
remember. I’ve been carried down that river, scraped along the sediments, rolled until a wave tucked
me back on shore, and when I finally looked back, I found you, stopped with your cart in the Asian
grocery, admiring the quantity of candy. They say morning is a beginning, but see there—the
crack of
dawn, the
break of dawn, that cusp of light, was gunfire. So when you set in front of me a jar of golden
candy, strung the sap around two chopsticks, and stretched its silk into string, I met her: a mother
saving honey for her daughter. They say
unfinished is a shortcoming, but see here, the un-finishing.
The shards form a bullet. The shot is in the barrel. The hand releases, and there, in the palm: sunrise. 

About the Author:

Kelly Hao is a graduating senior at The Ohio State University. After graduation, she will continue her education at Ohio State's medical school in hopes of becoming a physician writer. 

You may also like…

On Having to Stop Hormone Replacement Therapy

Poetry by Syd Vinyard      for Tessa  I tell my partner to imagine my body as what it doesn’t look like. I think about bringing a used Band-Aid to my lips and wringing it for excess testosterone as they trace the patches of hair that sprout like bachelor buttons from...

Pinfeathers

Pinfeathers

Fiction by Klarissa Lisette  “Astrid.”  “Mmm.”  She stares at her phone, consumed. It’s a habit of hers–when she doesn’t take her medicine, she tunes in and out like the world is a radio station she has a spotty connection with. ...

Cherry Blossoms

Cherry Blossoms

Poetry by Siobhan Jean-Charles – Constitution Ave. NW, Washington, DC 20565 Upstairs wander for hours as you lean into every frame, examine brushstrokes, limbs in motion, skirt folds peeling through air like a clementine. Gently, not to disturb the artwork. I walk...