Preliminary Data on the Feasibility of Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC) Protocols

Kristin Her, “Preliminary Data on the Feasibility of Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC) Protocols”
Mentor: Shelley Lund, Communication Sciences & Disorders

Individuals with severe speech or language disorders use augmentative and alternative communication (AAC) methods to communicate in their everyday lives.  AAC includes a wide range of systems or devices that are used to supplement or replace spoken language. It is often classified into two broad categories: low-tech or high-tech devices. Low tech devices refer to systems that are not electrical or battery-operated. They are pictures of symbols, words, or phrases on a board or book. High tech devices are electronic, computerized devices that utilize computer-generated speech, and may employ eye-tracking or other access methods.  With the wide variety of AAC devices available, AAC assessments pose a challenge to speech-language pathologists (SLPs) to complete accurately and confidently. The AAC Clinical Assessment Project team developed four comprehensive, evidence-based protocols for SLPs to evaluate individuals for AAC systems in clinical practice. The four protocols focus on the following groups: children with autism spectrum disorder (ASD), children with cerebral palsy (CP), adults with aphasia, and adults with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS). For this study, twenty SLPs who specialize in AAC will evaluate the feasibility of using the protocols. The participating SLPs will use the protocols to assist in the decision-making process of the AAC strategy or system that is most beneficial for client communication. After the use of the protocol, SLPs will complete an online Qualtrics survey. They will evaluate the usefulness of the protocol by section using a Likert-type rating scale and responding to open-ended questions. Although data has not been collected, we can anticipate the SLPs will rate the protocol as a useful component of their assessment practice. If the ratings are not positive, we will revise the protocol based on the feedback given.

Comments

1. That is very interesting. I wasn’t aware that SLPs worked with people with ALS. So the device that Stephen Hawking used to communicate was likely developed by SLPs? Very important research indeed.

2. Hello everyone! My name is Kristin Her and I am a junior majoring in Communication Sciences and Disorders. A little about myself is that I am the second generation and this is my first year of doing research work! I hope that you all enjoy my short presentation and feel free to leave a comment with any questions!

3. Thanks for the great talk, Kristin! I had no idea that there were so few standards with regard to the prescription and use of AACs. I think that your proposed research could have a huge impact on patient quality of life. I’d love to know more about your proposed protocols. Do they include methods for training patients to use AACs? Do they cover both low and high tech AACs? How are they tailored to the individual patient populations you mention? Thanks again!

1. Hello, Josh thanks for taking the time to listen to my presentation! The participating SLPs will use the protocols to assist with planning, implementation, data collection, and decision making of the AAC strategy or system that is most beneficial for client communication. The protocol is divided into three sections pre-evaluation session interview, screening, and evaluation session. The pre-evaluation focuses on gathering information needed for planning and completing the evaluation. This is done through the caregiver, teachers, and other health care professionals working with the individual. The screening portion section determines if further evaluation is needed in certain areas listed on the protocol. The last section evaluation is the areas to be assessed and the methods to evaluate them. After completing the protocol the clinician should have a good sense of what type of AAC will be needed. After the clinician determines the AAC device the client and caregiver will learn how to use the device appropriately during therapy sessions. I hope this information helps!

4. Great job Kristin! Your presentation was great! I am so happy you have been working on this project with me and am excited that we have started recruiting participants and should have some data soon!!!

5. Well done Kristin! This is very important work in order to increase the use of AAC and confidence of SLPs to choose the most appropriate device. Your slides were very effective.

6. This is really interesting. Are other healthcare team members, like occupational therapists, ever involved in AAC recommendation and implementation?

7. Great job! This is a topic that is actually very close to me. I volunteer with Variety-the Children’s Charity of Wisconsin and they hold a summer camp for children with speech impairments to teach them and their families how to use AACs such as iPads, tablets, computers, and even eye gaze equipment! It’s very heart warming to see these children find their “voice”, but your research has begun to give me some insight to a whole new side to it! You are the behind the scenes! So exciting!!