||Beginning Algebra, Hendricks and Chow, McGraw-Hill, 2013.
|Other required materials:
||A pad of graph paper.
Several sharpened pencils (bring them to every class).
A ruler (for making graphs).
||NO CALCULATORS will be allowed on exams. You should not use a calculator when doing homework.
|Prof. Kahl’s office hours:
||Office hours will be held after class every day, 11:20am – 12:15pm, in the classroom. If no students stay for the office hours, I will return to my office.
- Four exams: 22.5% each.
- The final exam is not cumulative.
- Make-up exams will only be given with a signed medical excuse.
- Attendance: 10%.
- Attendance is taken at the beginning of class.
- Any student who misses more than four classes will not receive a grade higher than C-. This is not enough to satisfy the requirement for entrance into the next math course.
- Homework: not graded, but absolutely essential for success.
- There is no extra credit.
|Recipe for success:
- Read the assigned textbook sections before the lecture.
- When reading, have pencil, paper and graph paper handy.
- Solve all textbook examples.
- The lectures closely follow the textbook presentation. If you don’t fully understand something in the textbook, it will likely become clearer when presented in class.
- Attempt at least some of the assigned homework problems before class.
- Do not miss class! One session of this summer class is equivalent to about one week of a normal semester class.
- Talk to me after class if you don’t understand something.
|UWM academic misconduct policy:
- Please let me know as soon as possible if you have a disability that requires special accommodation.
- Cell phones/pagers must be turned off during class.
- Texting is not allowed during class.
- Headphones may not be worn during class.