In the linguistic anthropology lab last summer…

Ethnocosmogenesis is a process that allows me to explore the intertextualities of various systems of knowledge. As a genesis project, I draw from Religious texts for guidance in understanding cosmogonies. I draw from Historical texts for literature on ethnogenesis as practiced by colonized peoples. As a cosmogenesis project, I draw from American Indian Studies, American Indian literature, and Religion to explore millenarian movements and other social movements arising from socially collective experiential crises. As an ethnocosmogenesis project, I draw from Philosophy’s explorations of situated epistemologies and systems of knowledge. As these disciplines informed my understanding of the intersections of these various texts I was challenged to find a way of re-presenting such collective knowing in a form that can translate all the texts into a genre that all may comprehend. I decided that graphic representations in the form of paintings, drawings, and sketches in conjunction with written texts such as a book, articles, and notes would provide the best opportunity for sharing my understanding of Maliseet language, oral tradition, landscape, and cosmogony as Wolastokwi Intertextuality.

I thank the Gipsy Kings for the music that energized my painting!