Integrating Creativity and Engineering Processes

Katherine Behlke, “Integrating Creativity and Engineering Processes”
Mentors: Emily Berens and Christopher Willey, Art & Design

Joining technical learning and creativity is something not enough people get to experience. There is so much valuable insight to be gained from merging the worlds of STEM and creativity. Being able to understand and connect the two different types of fields becomes more and more important with new emerging technology. One place where this is very apparent is in the world of virtual reality. A lot of virtual reality exists as a creative and entertainment space, but it is founded on engineering and math. To discover and use new technology to its full potential, more people need to be able to see the space from both STEM and artistry sides. The basis of my research is about using engineering programs and technology and integrating them into a virtual reality space where they can be used in new ways. I am using programs such as the engineering application Creo to design assets and parts that aren’t defined by strict geometry and dimensions, but rather organic shapes. The goal is to be able to integrate these assets and pieces into a virtual landscape where they can be combined with sound and matching visuals to create an overall experience that can also serve as an education tool. Making a virtual reality space where you can see the creativity and art while also observing different engineering processes. So far, I’ve found that it is a challenge to use the programs in ways not intended, but it’s not impossible. The significance of this is to show how the two fields of study do not have to be separate things, and to provide an experience at the intersection of two worlds that are more similar than most people think.

Comments

1. Thank YOU Katherine! I love your attempt to connect STEM with artistic expression and really really hope that turtle ends up swimming away! Great choice for your project as you’ll be able to make that VR space really beautiful by adding color and plants and other fish, right? Very cool.

2. Hello everyone, thank you for taking the time to look at my research today! My research this semester focused on the integration of engineering with more creative processes. If you have any questions feel free to reach out to me here!

1. I started my research in January 2021 and I’ve had a blast getting to explore the space and see where it takes me. I’m currently a freshman pursuing a Mechanical Engineering major here at UWM. I hope to be able to continue this research in the fall and beyond

3. Katherine,
    Great focus for your research! I’m wondering if an implication of your work is that engineering students should be taking classes over in Peck as a requirement. Maybe they do?

Also, how long will it be before you can move to VR with this? Just curious of the timeframe. Relatedly, what resources will that take to accomplish?

Lastly, what are some scholarly sources that maybe you read this semester with your research? Who is informing your work?
    Cheers,
    Erin

4. Hi, Katherine;

A very interesting presentation! I look forward to seeing where you’re able to go with it!