Some jobs may require you to become licensed as a Professional Geologist (PG) or a Certified Professional Geologist (CPG). The first step to becoming a PG is passing an exam to demonstrate your knowledge of geology fundamentals: the Fundamentals of Geology (FG) Examination. Our alumni tell us that is most easily done soon after graduation, while coursework is still fresh in your memory.
Learn more about the PG and CPG licenses and licensing process
- UWM Geosciences Colloquium Recording: March 2022 – Paula Leier-Engelhardt, PG, CPG., and Karina Casey, PG, joined us to demystify the PG and CPG licenses.
- National Association of State Boards of Geology (ASBOG) – has information on the exam and study materials
- Webinar: Professional Geologist Licensure Requirements and the ASBOG National Geology License Examinations (American Geosciences Institute)
- Webinar: Understanding Professional Geologist License Requirements: California 2019 (American Geosciences Institute) – California has different requirements than many other states. If you are thinking about working in California, you may want to watch this.
- State of Wisconsin Professional Geologist requirements and information
- Wisconsin application for the Fundamentals examination
Participate in exam review sessions
If there is enough interest, we plan to organize a series of review sessions to help you prepare for the Fundamentals of Geology Exam. If you successfully complete the review series, LET’S GEO will pay your exam fee ($209 value). This funding is made possible by a grant from the National Science Foundation.
If you are interested in participating in these review sessions, please email us at email@example.com.