ADL Current Staff

ADL Current Staff

Graduate Students

Cohley Acenowr, M.S. | CV

Doctoral Student (joined 2021)

Cohley graduated from the State University of New York at Binghamton in 2019 with a B.A. in Psychology and English, and a minor in Forensic Health. She then worked for two years as a research assistant and Lab Coordinator for the Binghamton Anxiety Clinic. Cohley’s research interests center around obsessive-compulsive and related disorders, and better understanding and defining the perceptual experiences of those who endorse “not just right” feelings. She is currently working on a project to examine response inhibition deficits in these individuals.

Bryce Arseneau, M.S. | CV

Doctoral Student (joined 2020)

Bryce graduated from the University of Wisconsin– Oshkosh in 2015 with a B.S. in Psychology and a minor in Neuroscience. For the next two years, he worked as a behavioral specialist at a level 5 foster home, and then for three years as an associate research specialist at the University of Wisconsin– Madison. Bryce is interested in researching cognitive deficits manifested through the obsessive-compulsive spectrum and anxiety disorders, and how these deficits are mediated by functional abnormalities within the brain.

Maryam Ayazi, M.A. | CV

Doctoral Student (joined 2017)

Maryam graduated from Shahid Beheshti University (SBU), Tehran, Iran with a B.A. in psychology. She earned her M.A in Psychology with a minor in special education from the University of Tehran (UT), Iran. She joined the lab in Fall 2019. Maryam is interested in studying the neurocognitive and neurophysiological aspects of Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) and OC symptoms by using ERP studies, to help with understanding the response inhibition and conflict monitoring in these groups.

Zachary Gemelli, B.A. | CV

Doctoral Student (joined 2023)

Zac graduated from the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth in 2020 with a B.A. in Psychology. He then worked for just under three years as a clinical research assistant in the Neuropsychology department at Rhode Island Hospital. Zac is interested in exploring neurocognitive and electrophysiological indices that may predict treatment response in anxiety disorders.

Yourim Kim, M.A. | CV

Doctoral Student (joined 2020)

Yourim graduated from Sogang University in South Korea with both a bachelor’s and a master’s degree in psychology. For the following two years, she worked at CECLAB as a researcher and investigated neurocognitive components related to psychological symptoms. Her research interests center on information processing bias and its modification in anxiety disorders. Furthermore, she is interested in examining neurocognitive factors that might predict treatment response in those disorders.

Minjee Kook, B.A. | CV

Doctoral Student (joined 2023)

Minjee graduated from the Johns Hopkins University with a B.A in Psychology and Cognitive Science. After then, she worked as a research coordinator and lab manager at Baylor College of Medicine. Minjee is interested in examining the underlying factors/processes of OCD and developing computerized interventions with the goal of improving the efficacy of and access to evidence-based treatment for OCD.

Project Coordinators

Renee Barthel Talg, M.S. | CV

Project Coordinator & Lab Manager (joined 2022)

Renee graduated from the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh in 2020 with a B.S. in Psychology, minors in Sociology and Neuroscience, as well as a certificate in Social Equity and Diversity. In 2022, she graduated from UWM with an M.S. in Educational Psychology with a concentration in Clinical Mental Health Counseling. During the last year of her master’s program, she worked as a Research Assistant on the Affective Neuroscience lab at UWM. Renee’s research interests include utilizing brain imaging such as fMRI and EEG to gain a better understanding of mental illness. Renee is a project coordinator for a NIH-funded treatment development study for obsessive-compulsive and related disorders.

Halle Berres, B.A. | CV

Project Coordinator (joined 2021)

Halle graduated from the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee in December 2022 with a B.A. in Psychology and minors in Information Science and Technology and Spanish. She has been a member of the Anxiety Disorders Laboratory since the Fall of 2021. During her undergraduate studies, she worked for the lab as a research assistant, transitioning to the role of a full-time project coordinator following her graduation. Halle’s research interests include the neurocognitive aspects of anxiety disorders, with utilization and development of advancing technology to better understand and treat affected individuals.

Undergraduate Research Assistants

Henry Berger

I am an undergraduate student at UWM, pursuing a degree in psychology, with a minor in sociology, and an undergraduate certificate in quantitative social data analysis. In the Anxiety Disorders Lab, my responsibilities as a research assistant include conducting data collection via phone interviews with participants, determining participant eligibility for involvement in the social anxiety training project, scheduling participants for training and assessment sessions, as well as sending and tracking those sessions. I am the student principal investigator for a comparative emotional vs. non-emotional stop-signal task study. This role has introduced me to the challenges of study design, IRB protocol development and submission, troubleshooting, working with and maintaining data, and has been an exciting and interesting experience. I have been and continue to build skills and learn in the lab which is preparing me for a graduate program in clinical psychology.

Ariel Fountain

I am an undergraduate student at the University of Wisconsin- Milwaukee, pursuing a Bachelor of Arts in Psychology. I am currently at a senior standing, graduating in May. After graduating, I am planning on furthering my education with a master’s degree in Clinical Educational Psychology. I have helped with the FRIT and ODIS projects which has helped me develop administrative and classic research skills. This year, I am doing the Honors College Research Project, where Dr. Lee will be overseeing my own research, Frustration and Response Inhibition.

Gabrielle Hildebrand

I am an undergraduate student at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, pursuing a Bachelor of Arts in Psychology, with a minor in Music. After graduating, I plan to further my education with a masters or doctoral degree in Clinical Psychology. As a research assistant for the Vape-Free project, and the ABMSP project, I am involved with data collection and analysis, participant meetings, scheduling and oversight of intervention methods. My involvement with the Anxiety Disorders Lab is preparing me to conduct research through my graduate studies, and providing me with knowledge and skills applicable to my life and career goals.

Heather Wachal

I am an undergraduate student at UW-Milwaukee pursuing a bachelor’s degree in psychology. I am striving for a career in psychopathology research after graduation. I am currently a research assistant on the RITNT project. Working in the Anxiety Disorders Lab is giving me valuable hands-on experience which is helping me to narrow my focus and clarify my specific career goals.

Matthew Forman

I am a fourth year undergraduate student at UWM after having transferred from WashU and UW-Madison, and I am currently a neuroscience major in the College of Letters and Sciences. My role in the Anxiety Disorders Lab is as a research assistant who primarily focuses on helping edit and analyze EEG data as it relates to response inhibition in OCD. My research experience in the lab will help me prepare for a clinical psychology Ph.D program with the hopes of eventually becoming a researcher and clinical psychologist focused on OCD and anxiety disorders.

Hailey Choi

I am an undergraduate student at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, pursuing a Bachelor of International Studies with a minor in Psychology. After I graduate, I plan to further my education and obtain a Master of Arts in International Affairs. I work as a research assistant in VFT and ABMSP, where my primary duties involve conducting informed consent meetings with participants, gathering data through interviews, and scheduling participants for training assessments. My experience in the Anxiety Disorders lab has allowed me to develop essential research skills, including data analysis and laboratory techniques.

Rachael Esper

I am an undergraduate student in my sophomore year at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. I’m currently pursuing a Bachelor of Science in both Psychology and Neuroscience. After graduation, I plan to attend graduate school for neuroscience or pursue med school with an interest in psychiatry. I’m currently a research assistant working on the centrality of event study, and I hope to assist with more studies in the future. Being a part of the Anxiety Disorders Lab has given me the research experience needed to further my career in psychology and neuroscience.

Reagan Kunesh

I am a senior undergraduate student at UW—Milwaukee pursuing a B.A. in Psychology. I plan on going on to obtain a master’s degree in mental health counseling in hopes of becoming a licensed professional counselor. My research interests include anxiety and trichotillomania, and I am a part of the fRIT project. Working in the Anxiety Disorders Lab has prepared me for graduate school and my future career by giving me opportunities to learn how research is conducted as well as how to create a poster presentation.

Ace Worske

I am an undergraduate student at the University of Wisconsin Milwaukee in my junior year. I am pursuing a Bachelor of Arts in Psychology and a Sociology minor. Post-graduation, I plan to attend graduate school for industrialorganization psychology with a specification in team development and will obtain a minor in business. Becoming a research assistant has allowed for a greater understanding of the psychology field along with improvement in my communication and interviewing skills that I will no doubt need in the future.

Ellie Voge

I am an undergraduate student in my freshman year at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. I’m currently pursuing a Bachelor of Arts in Psychology. After graduation, I plan to attend graduate school working to become a therapist. I’m currently a research assistant working on the cognitive bias modification for thought-action-fusion study, and I hope to be a part of more studies in the future. Being a part of the Anxiety Disorders Lab has allowed me to develop my research skills and engage in hands-on learning surrounding psychology.

Anna Reihl

I am an undergraduate student in my freshman year at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. I am currently pursuing a Bachelor of Arts in Psychology. After I graduate, I hope to continue my education at graduate school and pursue a career working with children. I’m currently a research assistant on the CBM for thought-action-fusion study. Being involved with the Anxiety Disorders Lab has allowed me to gain hands-on experience and grow vital research skills to help me shape my future career.

Hossein Khatibi

I am a fourth-year undergraduate student at UW-Milwaukee pursing a Bachelor of Science in Psychology whilst in the Pre-PA program with a double minor in Japanese and Biological Sciences. After graduating, I plan on obtaining my master’s degree in Physician Assistant Studies in order to begin my career as a PA. As a research assistant for the PROCEED study I aid in EEG data collection, and I look forward to taking on more responsibilities in the near future. Working in the Anxiety Disorders Lab has given me the opportunity to grow my interpersonal skills and gain an understanding of research processes that lead to the insight necessary to create effective therapeutic treatments.

Diana Sham

I am currently a senior undergraduate student at UW-Milwaukee pursuing a B.S. in Psychology. I am interested in furthering my academic endeavors in graduate school to research human behavior and study the mechanism of the human brain in terms of behavior, as I plan to land a career within the Applied Behavior Analysis field and become well-versed in cognitive therapy. I am now a research assistant in the Anxiety Disorders Lab and my responsibilities include setting up EEG equipment on our research participants and recording data for our research. Being a part of the Anxiety Disorders Lab allows me to be well-equipped academically while I gain neuropsychology knowledge from the research conducted in hopes this will pave the way for a successful academic career for me.

Pilar Flores

I am an undergraduate student in my sophomore year at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. I am currently pursuing a Bachelor of Science in Psychology with a minor in Communication. After graduation, I plan to attend graduate school and work to become a forensic psychologist. I am currently a research assistant working on the cognitive inhibition deficits related to common psychopathology study. Being a part of the Anxiety Disorders Lab prepares me for graduate school and allows me to learn and understand research processes and skills.

Zoe Luri

Zoe is an undergraduate student at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, pursuing a Bachelor of Arts in Psychology. Following her undergraduate studies, she intends to pursue a graduate program leading to a master’s or doctorate in Clinical Psychology. At the Anxiety Disorders Lab (ADL), she serves as a research assistant, where her primary responsibilities include conducting informed consent meetings with participants, collecting and analyzing data, and scheduling participants for assessments. Zoe’s experience at the Anxiety Disorders Lab will enhance her research skills and provide her with the necessary preparation for graduate school in her field.

Mya Peterson

I am working towards my undergraduate degree in psychology at UW-Milwaukee, graduating in Spring 2025. I then hope to obtain my master’s in clinical mental health counseling and start a career as a therapist. As a research assistant for the Anxiety Disorders Lab, my responsibilities include assisting with data collection and working with EEG equipment. In addition to being a research assistant, I also work at Roger’s Behavioral Health.

John (JP) Balseiro

I’m a sophomore undergraduate student at UW-Milwaukee pursuing Psychology and a minor in Philosophy. I plan on eventually obtaining a master’s degree in Psychopharmacology or Clinical Psychopathology, in hopes of conducting research. My interests include Schizophrenia and Dementia, and I’m assisting in the Attention EEG Study. The Anxiety Disorders Lab is preparing me for graduate school and my future career by giving me opportunities to learn how research is conducted.

Andrew Jones

I am an undergraduate student at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, pursuing a Bachelor of Arts in Psychology, with a minor in Philosophy. After graduating, I plan to further my education by obtaining a doctoral degree in Clinical or Experimental Psychology. I am a research assistant helping with the RITNT project. My involvement with the Anxiety Disorders Lab is preparing me to conduct research through my graduate studies, and providing me with knowledge and skills applicable to my life and career goals.

Putri Noor Areesya Binti Rizarr Annuar

Lab Director

Han-Joo Lee, Ph.D.  |  Faculty Page   |  CV

Professor
ADL Director
Director of Graduate Studies
Department of Psychology
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
Email: leehj@uwm.edu
Office: 414-229-5858
Fax: 414-229-5219