MLIS, Archival Studies, 2010
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, Milwaukee, WI
Graduated Summa Cum Laude
BA, Biblical and Theological Studies, 2008
Wheaton College, Wheaton, IL
Graduated Magna Cum Laude
Interim Head of Archives June 2016–present
University of Wisconsin–Milwaukee Archives, Milwaukee, WI
- Developed strategic goals and initiatives for the Archives Department
- Set policies for the Archives Department’s major archival functions, including appraisal, accessioning, processing, reference, outreach, and preservation
- Served as primary contact between the Archives Department and donors, appraising collection offers and negotiating terms of acceptance
- Worked closely with the Libraries’ Development Officer in grant-writing activities that supported Archives Department holdings and activities
- Represented the Archives Department at state-wide conferences and initiatives
- Provided leadership for a state-wide project to integrate Alma, the LMS for UW System libraries, into archival functions at all UW repositories
- Supervised and evaluated 2.6 FTE professional staff
Reference and Instruction Archivist May 2014–May 2016
University of Wisconsin–Milwaukee Archives/Area Research Center, Milwaukee, WI
- Led Archives Department’s instruction program in conducting over 50 instruction sessions per year and taught over 20 primary source instruction sessions per semester, including an embedded experience with an online class
- Organized outreach to local K-12 schools by arranging exhibit tours, instruction workshops, and National History Day activities
- Oversaw Archives Department reference services, training students to assist patrons with reference queries both virtually and in person
- Promoted the Archives Department through public presentations, including genealogy workshops in partnership with the Wisconsin Historical Society and local libraries
- Coordinated the Archives Department’s Area Research Center functions and administered the transfer of archival collections around the state
- Served on several Library committees focused on social media outreach, user experiences, and library culture
- Handled permissions and licensing fees for archival materials in digital collections
- Implemented an Archives social media strategic plan and collaborated with Archives staff and library colleagues to extend the reach of the Archives Department online
- Trained and supervised 5-6 graduate students per year
Archives and Digital Records Coordinator May 2010–April 2014
Staubitz Archives, Carthage College, Kenosha, WI
- Led library administration in establishing mission and policy for the Archives and updated reservation, arrangement and description procedures
- Supported academic departments by teaching classes in the archives, teaching library information literacy classes, providing primary sources for projects, and creating
supplementary exhibits for academic activities
- Provided archives reference support to campus community and alumni, significantly increasing reference queries and archives users over the course of four years
- Collaborated with campus offices on projects such as implementing OnBase, a document management system, creating a historical video for the Carthage’s 165th anniversary, and digitizing and indexing over 3,000 records from the Office of the President
- Promoted the archives by installing regular exhibits, running an Archives Facebook page, hosting alumni events, creating promotional videos, giving presentations to the President and administration, and writing monthly newsletter articles and weekly website features
- Collaborated with IT staff and vendors to digitize 99 years of college yearbooks, develop website content, implement Archon archives software, and provide student computer support
- Trained and supervised 3-4 student employees each semester
Archives Intern January 2010–May 2010
University of Wisconsin-Parkside Archives, Kenosha, WI
- Edited manuscript collection finding aids to comply with DACS
- Converted 17 manuscript collection finding aids to EAD using oXygen Editor
- Trained archives staff in EAD conversion and created EAD tutorial
- Established relevant Dublin Core metadata elements for map digitization project
Museum Intern October 2009–September 2010
Snap-on, Inc. Museum and Conference Center, Kenosha, WI
- Appraised, arranged, and described over 1,000 historic corporate records
- Defined and coordinated museum preservation efforts
- Cataloged multiple collections of museum artifacts using PastPerfect museum software
- Worked with museum committee to update museum policies and procedures
- Located and provided artifacts and information for corporate 90th Anniversary
- Developed project procedures and trained new intern to carry out museum tasks
Archival Assistant August 2004–May 2008
The Marion E. Wade Center, Wheaton College, Wheaton, IL
- Cataloged audio cassettes, compact discs, and videos in the ProCite database
- Transcribed, labeled, and filed C.S. Lewis’ personal correspondence
- Processed manuscripts, books, and several archives collections
- Responded to researchers’ reference questions
- Assisted patrons utilizing databases and archives holdings
- Supervised reading room on weekends
PRESENTATIONS & PUBLICATIONS
“Divergent Development of Alma’s Resource Sharing System.” Presentation at Ex Libris Users of North America Conference, May 9-12, 2017.
“Teaching with Primary Sources.” Full-day workshop at the Wisconsin Association of Academic Librarians Conference, Elkhart Lake, WI, April 20-21, 2017.
“Leveraging Library Systems for an Archival Advantage.” Presentation at the Wisconsin Association of Academic Librarians Conference, Elkhart Lake, WI, April 20-21, 2017.
“Telling the Story of 1967-1968 in the North: Documenting Social Protest in Chicago, Milwaukee, and Detroit.” Presentation at the Midwest Archives Conference, Omaha, NE, April 6-8, 2017.
“Deepening Student Learning through Faculty and Librarian Collaborations.” Presentation at the UWM Teaching and Learning Symposium, Milwaukee, WI, January 12, 2017.
“Digital Literacy in the Classroom.” Presentation at the Digital Library Federation Conference, Milwaukee, WI, November 7-9, 2016.
“Data About Milwaukee: An Introduction.” Presentation at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Digital Humanities Lab, Milwaukee, WI, October 25, 2017.
“Archival Metrics & the Wisconsin Area Research Center Network: The Alma Advantage.” Presentation at the Council of University of Wisconsin Libraries Conference, Madison, WI, June 7, 2016.
“Where Do We Store the Action Figures? Archives and the Growth of Popular Culture and Fandom Collections.” Presentation at the Midwest Archives Conference, Milwaukee, WI, April 28-30, 2016.
“Yes, I Google Better: How Technology Has Changed Archival Reference.” Presentation at the Society of American Archivists Conference, Cleveland, OH, August 16-22, 2015.
“Can I Steal That Idea? Tips and Tricks for More Effective Social Media.” Presentation at the Society of American Archivists Conference, Cleveland, OH, August 16-22, 2015.
“Social Media Crash Course for Special Collections.” Presentation at the Midwest Archives Conference, Lexington, KY, May 6–9, 2015.
“TeachArchives.org.” Society of American Archivists Review Portal: Archival Technologies and Resources, July 2014.
“HistoryPin.” Society of American Archivists Review Portal: Archival Technologies and Resources, May 2014.
“Rethinking Outreach: Engaging Undergraduates in College Archives.” Poster presentation at the Wisconsin Association of Academic Librarians Conference, Elkhart Lake, WI, March 24–26, 2013.
“Rethinking Outreach: Engaging Undergraduates in College Archives.” SOLO 1. no. 2 (2013): 4-5.
Co-Chair January 2016–present
Southeastern Wisconsin Archives Group
Committee Member August 2014–present
Society of American Archivists, Reference, Access, and Outreach Section:
Teaching with Primary Sources Committee
Local Arrangements Committee Member November 2014–April 2016
Midwest Archives Conference
Steering Committee Member July 2013–August 2014
Society of American Archivists, Lone Arrangers Roundtable
Associate Editor May 2013–August 2014
SOLO: Quarterly Publication of the SAA Lone Arrangers Roundtable
Conference Planning Committee Member August 2012–April 2013
Wisconsin Association of Academic Librarians
Society of American Archivists member
Midwest Archives Conference member
Southeast Wisconsin Archives Group member