Walk 1 – Building 5
Click Images to Enlarge
706 North Jefferson Street
Architects: Edward Townsend Mix 1884
The Queen Anne style Milwaukee Club was constructed of Lake Superior Sandstone, red brick, and red terra cotta trim. Lake Superior Sandstone of the Milwaukee Club contrasts with the brownstone (brown sandstone) which Mix used for trim on Immanuel Presbyterian Church (1873) and on St. Paul’s Episcopal Church (1883). Brownstone is a harder, more durable stone than Lake Superior sandstone. It is valuable to compare this building and the Button Block with St. Paul’s Episcopal Church. The Berea Sandstone of the Milwaukee City Hall is also a valuable comparison.