Collaborative Creative Learning in Architecture and Environmental Education

Hyeonha Park, “Collaborative Creative Learning in Architecture and Environmental Education”
Mentor: Mark Keane, Architecture
Poster #140

In this study, I share my experiences collaborating with the Next.cc team, a passionate group dedicated to inspiring environmental stewardship and nurturing creativity. With a primary focus on my contributions, I assumed the role of facilitating communication with students, while also actively participating in the design of educational materials aimed at igniting students’ interest in architectural and environmental knowledge. Leveraging a repertoire of icons primarily crafted by myself, as well as engaging in cross-disciplinary collaboration to design worksheets incorporating various elements such as charts and maps, this research highlights the meticulous process of crafting diverse graphic icons utilizing illustration and Photoshop techniques. Specifically, my emphasis was on designing icons pertinent to environmental themes, including representations of fungi, aquifers, soil ecosystems, and organisms, characterized by soothing color palettes and engaging illustrations to render complex concepts accessible and relatable to students. Furthermore, the design process provided a platform for exploration of diverse design styles sourced from the internet, along with a deep dive into color theory, thereby augmenting my proficiency in illustration and Photoshop. Additionally, active engagement in discussions with students facilitated the exchange of insights concerning the symbiotic relationship between architecture and the environment. Through the creation of various icons, I embarked on a journey of deeper comprehension of environmental and architectural principles, presenting an invaluable opportunity for skill refinement in illustration and Photoshop. This collaborative endeavor with the Next.cc team enriched educational experiences and served as a catalyst for personal and professional growth in environmental education and graphic design.