UWM Union Art Gallery
Virtual Exhibitions

On Display Now

Juried Show – Page 1

Recording Links

Opening Reception

Artist Talks

Marsha Abramson

My Movie 11

Medium: Oil on canvas
Size: 8′ x 5.5′

Marsha Abramson

MIAD

Savannah Canales

Growth in Chaos

Growth in Chaos

Medium: Acrylic on Canvas
Size: 18′ x 24′

Savannah Canales

University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee

Through my artwork I explore my relationship with my body, which is seldom represented across mainstream media, and with my spirituality. I hope through these times that are seemingly bleak and lifeless that you can be encased in the light and warmth that surrounds us all even if you can’t see it, hopefully you can find that in my art.

Jimmy Cobb

Green Souls

Green Souls

Medium: oil and acrylic on unstretched canvas

Size: 24″x36″

Jimmy Cobb

Milwaukee Institute of Art and Design

As an artist in today’s complicated light, I feel my work emphasizes a glance into how we as artists and as people interact with our varied environments. By working with the figurative, the human anatomy allows some relation to the viewer and the construct. But, only by placing these figures in manipulated environments (either physically or virtually) do we begin to understand the volatility of our places of existence. Most of these works bring into question our symbiotic relationship to the digital while keeping in mind our naivety toward the complexity of all the ways we can exist today.

Web: Jimmycobb.art. Instagram: @jm.cobb

Nicholas DiLollo

Love

Love

Medium: Digital (photoshop collage)

Size: 10″x8″

Nicholas DiLollo

Milwaukee Institute of Art and Design

My art making process is -complex, yet simple. I like to try different media, like different textures and different sizes to create a unique world. I depict people not only how they look, but how they act, breaking the realm of reality. I usually get a spark of inspiration from looking at something or someone and just drawing. I also tend to just clear my mind and draw, creating a piece in the process.

Instagram: @nickdilollo724

Katelyn Fisher

Hidden Beauty

Hidden Beauty

Medium: Charcoal, Print, Marker

Size: 1242 x 2208

Katelyn Fisher

Milwaukee Institute of Art and Design

My artwork explores the stories and emotions of my past. Growing up I’ve dealt with many traumatic things such as sexual assault from different men, living in the woods during the winter, frostbite and hospital visits, exploring the internet at a young age and bumping into issues, and so much more. Majority of my pieces are bright and colorful which represents the growth and strength that I’ve had in my life. Some other ones I added in some darkness such as tears, some erotic, abuse in some form, skulls to represent death, and eyes being closed or looking down to represent loneliness, sadness, and other types of emotions. All of my art pieces are connected to a story of my life somehow or a tiny piece of me.

I’ve had different influences growing up such as other famous artists but most of all, my parents. They were my biggest supporters and always told me I could go far with my art not only in life but also for myself. Art has always been a therapeutic escape for me. It helped me put my life story and emotions on a canvas or sheet of paper instead of keeping it locked inside myself. Art has been one of the things that made me who I am today.

Allison Calteux

Deflection

Deflection

Medium: Digital Photograph
Size: 24″x16″

Allison Calteux

Purgatory

Purgatory

Medium: Digital Photograph
Size: 8″x12″

Allison Calteux

UWM Peck School of the Arts

Surrealism offers an opportunity to decipher the various contemplations of the unconscious mind in order to assign meaning to the automatic thoughts we experience. I use photography to visually depict my automatic thoughts as a way of meditating on life, death, and the unknowability of the liminal space in between. The cycle of life and the mystery of death are explored in my work through employing the concept of the uncanny. By creating compositions that are simultaneously familiar and mysterious, I aim to create a parallel between juxtapositions: the juxtaposition presented by the uncanny, and the juxtaposition between the comfort of life and the obscurity of death. Through these works, I invite the viewer into a constructed environment where I depict an imagined liminal space between life and death.

Allison Calteux is a first-year graduate student at the Peck School of the Arts and has a focus in digital Photography.

Madeline Cawkins

Nature Removed
Nature Removed
Nature Removed

Nature Removed

Medium: Photography, Digital editing

Size: 20′ x 13.3′, 13.2′ x 20′, 20′ x 13.2′

Madeline Cawkins

University of Wisconsin Milwaukee

I am a Junior who is currently enrolled as a Design and Visual Communication major. This semester I have been working on art as a way to express climate awareness. I am looking into how humans are affecting the earth. I show this through images of nature that I have edited to remove space. This space is a silhouetted image of man-made structures. Removing parts of the image is like removing parts of nature that are being continually lost as humans expand. This is a look at how nature will look a few years in the future.

Instagram: @ thrskullkid

Maria Conlon

Drifter

Drifter

Medium: Pen on paper

Size: 8″x10″

Maria Conlon

University of Wisconsin Milwaukee

This collection consists of three ceramic works and one pen drawing, all made within the last six months. With all of this free time thanks to extenuating circumstances of the world, I have been able to spend a lot of time thinking about texture and detail within my work, both 2D and 3D. These pieces show my interest in conveying different textures such as feathers and fabric. I have also experimented with color as seen in the terra-cotta pieces, to bring out the warmth of the clay body. An overarching goal in my work is to show beauty found within nature as well as drawing inspiration from historical and classical works of art.

Instagram: @m_conlon_art

Lucija Drake

Untitled

Untitled

Medium: Digital Art

Lucija Drake

False Detector

False Detector

Medium: Styrofoam, Marker
Size: 5″ x 5″

Lucija Drake

School Of The Art Institute of Chicago

I am writing love letters to the mundane world around us. I’m interested in representing the dull with pop sensibilities. Through installation, sculpture, print making, fiber work and collage I explore the surrealism and fantasy of institutional architecture and the objects we ignore. I am a student of The School Of The Art Institute of Chicago currently living and studying remotely in Milwaukee, WI.

Monique Foster

I Explained It But No One Understood

I Explained It But No One Understood

Medium: Adobe Illustrator
Size: 8′ x 10′

Monique Foster

Zipper

Zipper

Medium: Earthwork
Size: 12.8′ x 17′

Monique Foster

Peck School of the Arts

I am student here at UWM majoring in sculpture and also pursuing my certification in digital fabrication and design, reflecting my interest in both the physical and the digital worlds. I am driven by a natural curiosity of the unexplained, the unknown, and the strange, in addition to the human experience, and the relationships between technology, man, nature, and consciousness.

Caroline Calvano

Fusion

Fusion

Medium: Cardboard, Wax Beads, Glue
Size: 15″ x 18″ x 14″

Caroline Calvano

Milwaukee Institute of Art and Design

In my art I strive to portray the complex human experience and identity. My sculpture techniques use a deconstructed form of a body or limbs to represent a general human. In my sculpture Fusion there are limbs coming out of an abstract shape referencing the chaos and complexity of being human. I chose to cover it in wax beads to create a mosaic-like look. I am queer and biracial so there is a lot of aspects that make up my identity. Because of my experiences, I added patterns and mixed the wax beads to represent all the intricacies that make up any person. I added melted areas on the sculpture to show how identities and personalities can fuse together. I also like the idea of things decomposing — and humans are slowly deteriorating — so my sculpture is slowly melting There is a lot to look at and discover about this work, which is similar to meeting someone new. People hold so much depth and I tried to capture that through this sculpture.

Jason Christenen

The Boxer

The Boxer

Medium: Spray Paint, Acrylic Paint

Size: 36″ x 48″ x 2″

Jason Christenen

UW-Milwaukee

I am a painter deeply inspired by Street and Pop Art, currently studying Art and Design at the University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee. By merging the expression and physical energy of these forms and constantly stripping away at typical convention, I attempt to enable a more honest and personal exchange between the work and the viewer.

My aesthetic is inspired by artists including Jean-Michel Basquiat, Robert Rauschenberg, Blu, Barry McGee and Roy Lichtenstein. I also continue to be inspired by emerging artists.

Website: https://www.jasondchristensen.com

Isabel Cooling

What Grows From Dreams

What Grows From Dreams

Medium: Charcoal, Collage, Acrylic Paint
Size: 14′ x 21.5′

Isabel Cooling

Deconstructed Poetry Book

Deconstructed Poetry Book

Medium: Mixed Media (Oil Paint, Nails, Hardware, Wood, Poetry Book)
Size: 124′ x 20′ x 6′

Isabel Cooling

UW-Milwaukee

My art focuses on the relationship between dreams and real life. I am interested in how the abstract bleeds into reality. I study the concept of self; how we perceive ourselves in our minds and the roles we take on in our dreams. Much of my work deals with how abstract dreams affect our connections to internal struggles we may have within our minds and hearts. I like to ask myself, “how would my struggles look in a dreamlike state?” Although I focus on my own internal battles, I strive to create art that others can find their own meaning within. I strive to create a sense of rawness and surrealism within my work that creates a balance between abstract and realism. By using mixed media, and 2D aspects, I create layers in my work. I believe this adds to the concept of unraveling the meaning or many “layers” of dreams. I also experiment with single media pieces, using charcoal, oil paint, or colored pencils. When I choose to use one single medium, I focus on the potential and materiality of the medium fully but I believe it is special when mediums can marry each other and balance one another.

Instagram: @artbyisvbel

Emma Erickson

Digits

Digits

Medium: Ink
Size: 22”x30”

Emma Erickson

UW-Milwaukee

My name is Emma Erickson and I am a multimedia artist with a concentration in Print and Narrative forms. The majority of my body of work so far has focused on portraits, presenting people as who they really are, as well as my ideas of who I think they are. In my more recent work, I’ve focused more on myself as a subject. Attempting to tackle challenges of self-image, self-discovery, and self-growth, my pieces have brought my focus back to who I am and who I’m trying to be.

I find a lot of my inspiration through music and through the world around me. With future desires of designing art and merchandise for the artists I love, I want my work to encapsulate what their music means, both to me and to the rest of the world. When viewing my work, I hope the audience feels the same way they might feel when hearing a great song for the first time.

Instagram: @emma.ericksonart

Sarah Gerbasi

You Get What You Deserve

You Get What You Deserve

Medium: Colored Pencil and Crayon on Paper
Size: 8″x10″

Sarah Gerbasi

Milwaukee Institute of Art and Design

Thinking about memory as ever growing and changing. Aiming to be both the observer and the observed. Revisiting staple childhood spaces and changing the narrative based on developing new perceptions as time progresses. Taking on the role as a commentator who revists the past to transform and mock memory.

Instagram: @greenearthhue

Address

UWM Student Union
Room W199, Campus Level
2200 E Kenwood Blvd
Milwaukee, WI  53211

Academic Year Gallery Hours

Mon-Wed:    noon – 5pm
Thursdays:  noon – 7pm
Fridays:       noon – 5pm
Sat-Sun:      closed

Follow