Zhanyun Qin

BA, Art (Studio Arts – Digital Fabrication)

3620836531@qq.com

Deification

This will be a sculpture with a human figure as the main body. Used to reflect social phenomena of “excessive worship” or “blind worship”. The main body of the statue will be constructed using hard clay, while the decorations held by the figure (such as the sword, crown, scepter, etc.) will be presented using 3D printing. The part that supports the main body of the sculpture will utilize a wooden frame structure (composed of CNC-cut wooden panels), which will also be equipped with a set of lights to enhance the atmosphere. The entire statue will use grey as its primary color scheme. I aim to give the entire work a sense of sanctity and strangeness. My motivation for creating this sculpture stems from the blind adoration found in reality. I believe that excessive(blind) worship is a pathological phenomenon, and although I have not been affected in real life, I can clearly feel that the network environment as a second world is being eroded by this phenomenon at an astonishing rate. In the past, people were free to express their opinions, comment on right and wrong, and explore the truth of things online. Nowadays, due to this almost religious kind of “blind worship” that’s rampant on the internet, many people(including myself)are hesitant to express their genuine thoughts on certain matters. Otherwise, they risk being subjected to widespread cyberbullying (and might even face harassment that escalates from online tracking to real-world stalking), as if they are treated like heretics. In recent years, there have been many news reports of depression and suicide caused by online violence due to opposing views expressed. In my opinion, idols are human rather than God. Although they may be excellent, they still make mistakes. However, fans who blindly worship will offer unrestricted tolerance for their idols, even going to the extent of harming others just to uphold the image of their idol. I believe this kind of emotion is distorted. I hate the status quo and seek change, which is why I want to do this creation.