Yongcheng Kuang

BFA, Art (Photography & Imaging)

Email
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Artist Talk

Artist Statement

Between Cities 

Over the past three years, I have explored and enjoyed Milwaukee. As I slowly started to establish connections and integrate into this city, I have been to many places, but from the perspective of the city, I have only been to a few places. I may not come back for a long time and my experiences here are important to me. These places accompany me through the last few years of my student life. When I leave, I will say goodbye to my student status and start a new adventure. Over these three years, I have completed my studies, as well as the important task of coming to the United States. It is time to leave here and return to my other city, another home. 

Between Cities records my life in Milwaukee, using light and slow shutter speed to photograph my movement along roads and in spaces where I walked. These places are where I have spent the most time, and they are also the places where I have the deepest memory of this city. My education is the purpose of my coming here, so school is my most important memory. This city has many more places worth remembering, such as tram rides to the Public Market, the Milwaukee Art Museum, Asian supermarkets, and the field near Lake Michigan where I played soccer. I record my relationship with this city to help me feel that my past has not disappeared. 

I also want to show my life in Milwaukee to my family in this way. Because of the pandemic, they cannot come to Milwaukee and I cannot take them personally to explore the city where I have lived. It will be a great regret for me, but in these photographs, I share my other city.