Timothy Vang

BFA, Studio Art (Digital Studio Practice)

tsukirotim@yahoo.com
LinkedIn

Artist Statement

As someone who is both a musician and an artist, I can’t help but wonder if there is a better way to visualize music– a fleeting, yet soulful medium. Music has the potential to induce strong nostalgic emotions and tends to present itself akin to fireworks; a large burst of energy, and then it’s gone.

Audio visual synesthesia is a condition where an individual experiences the two distinct senses of sound and sight at once, typically represented as colors and patterns. My artwork hopes to connect the viewers to an experience like synesthesia. I craft sensations of colors and of sound, but give this sensory mix of experiences a more tangible visual quality through recognizable objects, rather than abstract forms.

In my animation, That Which Blooms, Now Found, I incorporate a floral theme to integrate both the respective symbolisms of music and art through a newly composed musical score. I enjoy the connotative and symbolic meaning of flowers, whether it be a daffodil’s link to rebirth, or a dandelion’s status as a symbol of growth.

My goal for this project stems from a desire to give a new perspective towards musical expression, regardless of one’s musical inclination. I hope to be able to assist people in looking through this new and different lens