Tanya Khazin

“Improvise, Adapt, Overcome” is an animated poster gallery that allows viewers to experience how graphic design trends have drastically evolved since 2019. In creating this, I am asking viewers to think about the relationship between events occurring around us and how they affect trends in art and design. I was inspired by books I had read throughout the course of my degree program that discussed the history of graphic design and how historical events had previously influenced design movements, from the invention of the Gutenberg Press to the Contemporary era. I want to explore this theme and how it plays out in our current society, especially during the unprecedented circumstances we have faced over the last three years.

I chose the medium of digital design and motion graphics for two reasons; firstly, because animation has become an increasingly popular aspect of graphic and web design, and also because I want the viewer to see how design figuratively moves through time and space. I wanted the movement in my posters to be representative of each year’s trend identity as well as the ever-present movement of time.

What I would like the viewer to walk away with is a desire to think more introspectively about design. We often see graphic design out in the world and don’t think much of it because it is so prevalent; from billboards to packaging to junk mail, most objects and environments contain elements of graphic design. I would like whoever sees this work to understand that design does not exist independently of the world around us and is, in fact, responding to it, oftentimes very directly.

2019
2020
2021
2022