Sierra Sky’a Price

BA, Community Art

Gmail

The linoleum prints in Reimagining Blackness, Sharing the Narratives of Black Artist, explores the stories of contemporary and multigenerational Black artists, and their legacy. Traditionally, African Americans have been misrepresented in print and mass media; therefore, printmaking is a method to reclaim the Black image. Through printmaking, I solidified and amplified their stories in a visual context.  

Drawing upon personal experiences to illustrate the vast Black experience outside of police brutality and continuous traumatic experiences. Reimagining Blackness, Sharing the Narratives of Black Artist, emerged from my experience during my time at UWM and understanding my path as an aspiring Black Artist. Highlighting the theme of storytelling to preserve Black culture and pass on cultural knowledge from one generation to another. Each artist was asked a series of 10 questions on their perspectives of liberation, empowerment, and navigation in diverse settings as Black artists.  

To Reimagine Blackness is to utilize the transformative power of art that emerges from love, peace, and community to change the negative connotations of Black people in society.  

View Sierra’s virtual exhibition on artsteps