Renae Wallace-Wobschall

BA, Studio Arts

Gmail

Artist Statement

My BA Project is an amalgamation of two interests that have been prominent in my life for as long as I can remember: animation, and dreams. This animation is an exploration into the feeling of falling asleep and dreaming, but it is also a way for me to practice and learn about the process of animating something from start to finish. Primarily, this project is self-explorative, but I’ve also been talking to friends and family about the things they dream about most often and considering the significance of these recurring themes. I believe that a lot can be said about a person from what they dream about. Personally, the thing that I dream about most often is water. In dreams, water symbolizes emotions, and depending on how it appears in the dream the emotions could be good (cleansing and healing), or bad (overwhelming). Furthermore, bodies of water in a dream symbolize the unconsciousness as a whole and drowning is the brains way of telling you that you might have some repressed issues or are going through something difficult. I chose to include this theme of water throughout my animation. While it’s not a perfect science, dream analysis can be incredibly useful in understanding one’s own mind, and even aid in personal healing. By keeping track of my own dreams, I have been able to reflect and acknowledge what my brain’s been trying to tell me, and face issues and make changes in my own life that have led to a happier outlook on life and a better night’s sleep overall.  While my piece is primarily a reflection into my own mind, I hope that people find it relatable. At the very least, I hope they can enjoy the animation itself enjoyable. 

View Renae’s virtual exhibition on artsteps