Oscar Ornelas

BA, Art (Studio Arts – Creative Technologies)

carin.pinta.el.mundo@gmail.com
Carins.sketchbook

Sin Miedo Al Amor: Cosas del Corazon

Sin Miedo Al Amor: Cosas del Corazon is a set of works which combines cultural and symbolic elements to demonstrate different renditions of love. In my work, I create scenes and imagery filled with cultural elements that take from both a religious and folklore aspect, using these elements to depict my ideas. Through the process of digital painting, I find myself drawing inspiration from artists who have inspired me in my practice to demonstrate an emotion so vulnerable as is love. My constant usage of vivid and bold colors shows itself in my works due to my own manifestation of my own vulnerability of emotions. The usage of important symbols such as the heart, celestial objects such as the moon and sun, and other important folkloric symbols is an homage to my own culture and how I grew around the art that was instilled on me.   From the ideas of self-love to romantic love, I take upon these emotions and ideas and translate them onto a digital canvas to depict the vulnerability of an emotion such as love, and how it can manifest itself in different ways. Maternal, platonic, romantic, and self-love are all ideas that are explored throughout this series and are connected in some shape or form to each other as an overall idea. The incorporation of symbols into each piece is a subtle way to tell an overarching story that translates these ideas into imagery that is both visually and emotionally appealing.   My depictions are inspired by my own personal experiences with the idea of love, as well as the cultural values I was raised by. Just as love and emotions can be bound by personal experience to narrate a story, the usage of symbolism and imagery can be bound to narrate stories as well.