Nicole Cottreau

BA, Psychology
BA, Art (Design Studies)

Nicole.cottreau@yahoo.com
Instagram

My subject matter is not able to be seen; it’s the feelings and emotions we share. Art is incredibly versatile; it can be used as a therapeutic tool. Using artwork as a means to turn these emotions into a physical manifestation. I don’t believe any one person’s experience leaves them alone in the world, and that is why my work exists. To bring shared experiences together. Experiences with mental health, life, gender, sexuality, to show that you are not alone.

Imagery isn’t the only way to convey comfort, an accessible means to create art allows me to form a closer connection with people. The materials I use are not something that is stuck behind pay to use programs and devices. They are pieces created using materials you would find at your grandmother’s house. Plants to create natural dyes, yarn, excess scrap fabric, or pieces of paper you would typically be inclined to throw away. These every day materials can be repurposed into a meaningful work of art.

I want to capture the struggles we have that make us individuals, reflecting on these isolating experiences as something we share.