Nataly Rice

BA, Art (Digital Fabrication and Design)

As an artist, I value every aspect of design. I’m curious about every process, every interaction and detail of a product. When creating works my goal is to ensure that it is the most optimized and comfortable for the user. I gravitate towards modest forms when creating works, I prefer for the colors and style to shine through. I try to optimize my limited time. To ensure every hour of my day is used, I try and get to the “point” as soon as possible. Once the key issue is defined, I work from there. Another important aspect of my process is accessibility. I try and shy away from luxury items, in favor of ones available to the genral public. I like to interact with many different designs and tech spaces and companies. By engaging with these amazing works, I am inspired to improve my techniques and processes. I strongly believe in the driving power of competitiveness.

In this work, I strived to create a machine that has a simple form and is unintrusive space. As someone who uses a nebulizer often it is cumbersome to move the unit around due to the wires and multiple pieces. I also chose a smaller machine to allow the user to move around freely and relax in any position. The user should focus on getting their breathing controlled rather than struggling with a complex machine.