Megan Olsen

In order to understand our identity, it’s useful to reflect on our personal, everyday tasks. Through my series Routines, I take a closer look at how materialistic objects subconsciously shape our identity. This uncontrolled, base value perception is affected by what we choose to be a part of our day-to-day tasks. I focus on cluttered, candid spaces which value consumeristic materials. By interrupting my subjects’ personal spaces, I open a window to the inner workings of the subliminal motivations of those around me.  My study advocates the reinterpretation of someone’s identity. My still-life composition is done by focusing on the small details happening within the work. Oil painting allows me to employ a personal approach to meticulous rendering, paired with the oversaturation of color. In these spaces I can interpret others’ identities and personalities through a personal perspective, allowing viewers to understand who they are seeing without actually seeing them. In a sense, my study has permitted an understanding of others on a deeper level from face value. I understand how hobbies, materialized items and kept spaces work with one another to build an identifiable person. My intention is to create a reflection on the self. I want the work to invoke a conversation about how materials and practices make an appearance in day-to-day life, and how these elements leave an impactful mark on one’s identity.