Marquise Brown

BFA, Studio Art (Digital Studio Practice)

brown654@uwm.edu

My work consists of my character art and is influence by Decora, Japanese culture, video games, fantasy and fairytale-like backgrounds. This series represents my love of character design and my passion to create interesting concepts.

I take inspiration from movies and video games for my characters and incorporate other influences, such as the music I listen to, into my process. The Rococo era and aesthetic has a great influence on me as well and I reference that era lot in my work. The pastel colors and the act of making the subject of the painting larger than life is what I want for in my own works.

My artworks are digital, and I use Clip Studio Paint to produce my work because its interface and tools are a great fit for my style and my future career. Clip Studio Paint allows me to adjust my work in any way I need and gives me the saturated colors I am looking for. To create these pieces, I usually sketch out a background and the characters in my sketchbook and then bring them into the digital space. Once in Clip Studio I finalized my sketch and refine and color it. Then I experiment with colors until I find an ideal dreamy pallet. The characters I draw are usually the main attraction for my works and are prominently featured in my pieces.

What I’d like people to take from my work is to understand that I just really enjoy making colorful characters. Maybe I can bring some attention to Decora and the subculture and help other understand why it so mesmerizing. I hope this series draws people in with all the Decora influence and detail I put into these pieces and puts a smile on their faces. I am confident that they will relate to the bright colors and playful, fantastical qualities in my work.