Maddie Mattson

BFA, Studio Art (Digital Studio Practice)

Email
Gmail
Instagram

Artist Statement

In recent years, painting has become an outlet for expressing myself during a turbulent time of my life. In Vibrancy, I explore this further by creating a series of digital paintings that use both aesthetics and character interactions to convey different emotions. My characters all start from basic figure drawings during the sketching stage, in which they slowly develop different personalities and ways of self expression as I continue painting.

Each painting allows me to lean in more into my creation process and see how my state of mind influences how the individual pieces turn out. Some pieces, for example, take on a more somber approach during my more depressive or anxious days, while others reflect happier moments in my life.

I am also fascinated with how choices of colors and overall aesthetics can greatly affect the feeling a digital painting evokes for the viewer.I experiment with non-traditional color palettes that incorporate bright hues against dark backgrounds to heighten each piece’s emotion and play with the depth of the characters and their surrounding space. I find it interesting how saturated colors can also elicit different reactions, such as how some bright colors can represent happiness, while others can signal danger or urgency.

My series Vibrancy presents the chance for me to better understand myself and my emotions through the digital painting process and how colors can influence my process. Allowing my feelings to lead rather than having a structured plan has allowed me to return to the therapeutic practice that attracted me to art in the first place.