Léna Bogyay

BFA, Studio Art – Dual Discipline Focus
Primary Focus: Painting & Drawing
Secondary Focus: Jewelry & Metalsmithing

laura.bogyay@gmail.com
https://residentleaner.com/home.html
Instagram
Linkedin

Of the Horse, We Know Nothing

My painting and jewelry practice offers a visual reflection of a broader research project on the significance of human/horse interrelationships. I am writing and reading on equine psychology, equine health and wellness, while simultaneously exploring intuitive processes through artmaking. It is my goal to more deeply understand these topics, which have interested me since I was a young child.

I use art as a medium to hypothesize a common language and states of being with horses. Animal psychology is still an abstract subject under scientific research. Intuitive processes, automatic drawing, contrasting colors and imagery, and psychological landscapes define my work, which centers on the equine body and psyche.

Through thinking, imagining, and obsessing over the horses that hold significance to me, I attempt to make art that is symbolic of memory and that relates human cognition to equine cognition via hypothetical sequences of imagination. I create wearable pieces that are bold yet elegant and feature details that transpose my painting or drawing work directly into the rigid medium of metal. These statement pieces demand the attention of the viewer and encourage an intimate conversation between the tangible and its narrative, as interpreted by the wearer, that painting or drawing does not promote as intensely.

Art reveals ruminations on what the artist deems important and impactful through the intricacies of the composition within the piece. The relationships and memories with horses that I hold on to are inlets to the molecular process of how memories and experiences over a lifetime can change individuals, and how these moments are encoded within the fibers of our existence. This selected body of work is a testament to the mechanisms by which deep memory and relationships dictate modes of depiction and visualization.