Kiley Dufek

BFA, Studio Art (Print & Narrative Forms) 

kdufek00@gmail.com
https://www.instagram.com/boghagart/

Artist Talk

How To Cope with the End of the World: Climate Change Edition encompasses my feelings of sadness, nihilism, and hope regarding the climate crisis. Through the traditional printmaking techniques of relief, intaglio, and book arts, I have described the ways that I cope with recent climate disasters, like the train derailment in Ohio, as moments I have found to embody contentment and joy. Said moments help to remind me that there are things to look forward to.

The duality of the subject matter reflects the lived experience of many people, us all teetering on the cusp of calamity while still living our lives. As individuals, there is little that we can do to effectively combat the impending climate disaster. Because of this, we welcome and seek out small moments laughing with friends, being delightfully dumb, and seeing our favorite birds in our favorite alleys. While there is work to be done to secure a future for ourselves, it’s good to remember that the ocean waves will keep on lapping up on the sand.