Karissa Demotto

Veiled Personas is a collection of surreal alter egos that are created with the intention of being a visual experience as each composition echoes a loss of consciousness. Each work utilizes crisp, highly stylized linework, which illustrates this strange confusing view on life. My aesthetic has evolved over time into the graphic style it is today. My approach to linework visually looks cohesive though what is revealed are distorted features within delineation. This style can be seen across my work throughout different mediums such as woodcuts, intaglio, screen printing and relief printing. My aesthetic is what binds my art together into a unique and cohesive collection.  I began creating these alter egos back in March of 2020 when the pandemic began. The isolation of quarantine left me a lot of time to meet these alter egos and get to know them. Since then, they have stuck with me and continued to change over time, just as I have. Through these characters I express this dysmorphic view I have of life now—strange, ephemeral visions—through various printmaking processes. Veiled Personas synthesizes my lived reality with the idea of perception, which in turn creates a new examination and re-imagination. The works focus around the idea of the alter-ego being just a different version of oneself—one that perhaps has a more unapologetic attitude, which is something I hope these characters will pass on to me.