Jiahui Chen

BA, Art (Studio Arts – Digital Fabrication)

1079522996@qq.com

Scars of Time

This sculpture is called “Scars of Time” and was created with nature as its inspiration. I get a sense of the beauty of nature and the passage of time when viewing this work. The texture of the wood is similar to the annual rings of the trees, giving the audience a deep connection to nature. The audience will experience a calming and reflective emotion as they see not only a work of art, but the journey of time and the cycle of life. In terms of thematic content, this work aims to explore the passage of time and the brevity of life. It is inspired by nature and reflects the themes of changing seasons, life growth, and aging. For the material, I chose wood, resin, and so on. I chose wood as the base material for this sculpture because it is part of nature and can express the passage of time and the trajectory of life. I used paint in natural tones to enhance the connection with nature and to make it easier for the viewer to empathize with the work emotionally. Moreover, I chose to use resin for the upper part of the sculpture, as 3D printing technology allows me to create some more detailed models. The shape and structure of the sculpture also utilizes natural elements, such as large trees from different growth periods. These different periods of trees can be contrasted so that the audience can see the process of their youth and aging, which makes it easier to understand the theme of this artwork. In addition, I used the contrast between the building and its ruins to suggest that people reflect on their lives and realize the limited nature of their time. I hope they will draw inspiration from this work and feel with their hearts the beauty of the natural world and the irreversibility of the passage of time.