Jazmin Zuniga

BA, Art (Studio Arts – Jewelry and Metalsmithing)

Zunigjaz000@gmail.com
@art_byjazmin

Artist Statement

MUJERON

My body of work, MUJERON, explores womanhood through the lens of my Spanish heritage. Through the making of a choker, cuffs, and statement necklace, they become a narrative for stories that echo the diverse and vibrant experiences of women within my culture. My work transcends the confines of traditional jewelry, inviting the viewer to embrace womanhood through forms that speak a universal language of empowerment and identity.  My research delves into the intriguing lack of a direct translation to the word “womanhood” in the Spanish language, questioning the linguistic nuances and societal implications. Through MUJERON, I aim to understand and show the messages embedded in language, offering a thoughtful reflection on the cultural and linguistic representation of femininity in a Spanish-speaking context.  The choker I made was intended to be uncomfortable to wear. I incorporated graphite on enamel to specifically draft a poem on the experience of a Mexican woman that tells the narrative of womanhood experience as an introduction. The viewer is only shown “ser mujer” which translates to “to be woman” and this phrase is something repeated among the work to prompt the viewer on this question of womanhood specifically in Spanish.    The next piece I designed is a set of cuffs. Cuffs translates to “esposas” in Spanish, which also mean “wives,” I enjoy having this double meaning that still focuses on what is being shown and portrayed, the experience of Mexican womanhood. Cuffs that can be worn by wives or women who are raised to think in the same ways as they experience “Mujeron.” as a heavy yet grounding experience. The cuffs are chained and weighed down by the heels. These heels are sexy, relatable, ugly, make you taller, pretty, and give the wearer fashionable purpose. I chose heels because of the symbolism a simple heel can mean to the viewer. Is she a whore? Is she celebrating her quinceañera? Or is she on her way to work?  The statement necklace is made with chain and graphite on enamel that function as a narrative depicting images and poetry of womanhood. As my first pieces present this burdening experience of Mexican womanhood, I wanted a piece that allowed for curiosity towards a conflicting topic. The incorporation of images and language into each piece is a subtle way to tell an overarching story that translates these ideas into imagery that is both visually and emotionally appealing.   My depictions are inspired by my own individual experiences with Mexican womanhood.  My work also challenges myself and those who relate to my experience to question conflict in the Spanish language and how it affects other women. It shows there was thought and care into a problem that is important to me and my sisters. By sharing my work, I want to share and invite viewers to take a little piece of this conflict and begin to engage in conversation amongst others.