Gabriel Mueller

This sculptural body of work explores metamorphosis and the way that the action of transformation creates meaning. Referencing narrative mythology along with introspective issues that humans deal with. I intend for the idea of metamorphoses to be developed through sculptures that juxtapose fictional characters and objects. The resulting narrative provides a contrasting lens for the human condition. The pieces’ objects imply out-of-place existence in our world. For example, in “TypewriterHead” the typewriter head is a “MacGuffin”  that the viewer could understand through its act of metamorphosis and unusual placement in the real world. I use clay, plaster, paper-mâché, and chicken wire to create a convincing physical presence for the stylized creatures and objects. I sculpt realistically with a somewhat distorted and dreamlike appearance. I use vibrant colors to amplify the surreal appearance of the sculptures. I intend for the lighting to create a dramatic mood that compliments the narrative. I strive to create a physically immersive experience for the viewer that evokes the complex ideas of metamorphosis.