Francie Cook

BA, Art (Studio Arts – Painting/Drawing)

franciecook@me.com

In my series, Chicken Scratch I explore the potential for mark making and expression through large scale, charcoal drawings. I am invested in both the capabilities and limitations of the medium. Working with charcoal allows for sensitivity and swiftness, while possessing an eagerness for change. 

My work centers around line; at times being extremely sharp, or fragmented, while other moments are long and painterly, building a diverse landscape. The large format of my drawings allow the viewer to become immersed and feel a part of the memory, in an easy to absorb, almost innate way. My aim with this work is to have it sit comfortably in the viewer’s mind, as memories, feelings, and observations start to slowly emerge and fly around, like cotton candy being spun from sugar to fluff.   

These works are process driven, with plenty of space for the drawing to lead the eye and unfold perceptual information. I choose imagery by mining through personal photos, looking for potential deconstructions between figures, objects and architectural structures. I allow a layered repetition of marks to articulate where the drawing wants to go. Having the confidence to explore new terrain, even letting it fall apart for it to sometimes come together is at the core of my process.   

Due to the nature of the process, my mental state is an integral factor in my production and efficiency.  On some days I find that work shoots out of my hand, quickly enveloping the paper. Other days I find that working through a drawing feels painful, even claustrophobic. I choose to sit in these moments and work through them nonetheless, leaning into the process of creation.