Farouk Afolabi

BFA, Studio Art – Single Discipline Focus (Creative Technologies) 

Fafolabi@uwm.edu
https://express.adobe.com/page/CINYpCJDhHxOK
Instagram
Linkedin

Delusion

Playing with the narrative of delusion, the aim of my series is to showcase how we as a society have gotten so far away from reality. Much so, I believe there has been an epidemic of delusion for a while now. Today, things are not as they seem and there is so much fabrication that goes on in our daily lives. We as a people have moved away from the truth and we continue to stray from it day after day. With social media being as available as it is, and new technology tools like AI, our unforeseen future looks primed to continue down this doomed path.

In my series Delusion, I aim to express and challenge my audience on what a
delusional society might look like by attaching my meaning of the word to three fictional characters. Two of these characters exist in their own reality, which has fragments of the real world. My first character, Titan, is a human-like figure that has no skin covering his muscular anatomy and also has a television for a head and is seen taking a selfie in a worn down bathroom. Oni, my second character, is a female that uses makeup to cover her deformed face. Both Titan and Oni exist in their own separate delusional realities, making sense of what they want and ignoring the obvious, eventually come together in hopes of forming a new reality, one that will have little to no knowledge of what once was, thus birthing delusion.