Diane Moore

BA, Art (Studio Arts – Ceramics)

spidermonkey.takeover@gmail.com

Artist Statement

Embracing Loss

My body of work this semester, Embracing Loss’, is a collection of six ceramic sculptures that create both a tangible and abstract representation of my perspective and admiration of the maternal experience, which is influenced by the close relationship I shared with my mother before her passing.

My sculptures explore the concepts of maternal love and connection through form, texture, and color. The mix of figurative and abstract sculptures creates a dialogue between the figures and the invisible bonds that grow and strengthen over time. The pieces all share a similar smooth texture apart from the angel sculpture, which has a rough texture to symbolize the shift from life to death.  Additionally, the metallic colors are used to glorify and memorialize the inspirations being depicted.

Within my work, I explore not only the weight of death, but also the healing that emerges from mourning. Each piece is a testament to the profound impact that my mother had on shaping my identity in both her life and death. My work aims to convey the idea that love, memories, and connection transcends the physical realm.