Clare Curran

BFA, Studio Art (Print and Narrative Form)

clarecurran99@gmail.com

Mothers in Repose is an exploration of how memory is tied to place. Each composition merges my drawings with family photographs (from many different eras) and familiar elements from my family’s past including architecture, plants, and objects. I arrange these elements to create a space where multiple realities overlap across time, place, and memory, so they exist as one. The series includes four photo-lithographic prints that feature myself, my sister, mother, aunt, grandmother, and great-grandmother. Screenprinted wallpaper of ginkgo’s, my grandmother’s favorite tree, serves as a backdrop. On a mantel beneath is an artist book that features my grandmother’s poem, “To Kathryn Virginia Margaret Rose (Mother in Repose) about her own mother.

Holding close these memories of the women who raised and supported me and the ones who raised them in the absence of others, this is a love letter to them. Spanning generations and time, these compositions do not exist naturally, so I reimagined them to connect us in a way that can only exist on paper.