Brandon Kuebler

BFA, Studio Art (Photography & Imaging)

Artist Statement

When we are born, we are deep-seated into stories of our conception, our history, who we are supposed to become, about our parents and families, and also about the world we live in. We are born as both a storyteller and listener. Our skills in storytelling tend to start from the moment that we try to maneuver a safe passage through this life. Whether we are conscious of it or not, we bring these stories to life to explain ourselves, to create a change, or even to make decisions. As we cumulate all of these stories and tales, we create our master story as a current answer for our lives. With society playing a huge influence on our lives, our storytelling can become skewed at a very young age. When we are young, we are at our most innocent moments in our life. The concept of innocence refers to children’s simplicity, their lack of knowledge, and their purity that has not yet been spoiled by societal factors. These moments then often lead to a lifetime of trying to “fit in” and hiding who we all truly are. With this series, I begin to rewrite and recontextualize my own personal narrative. I delve into the creation and manifestation of my identity throughout my life, and by doing so, I create a new narrative as to how I wish my life had been, had society not pressured me into hiding my true identity and my sexuality as an openly queer male from those that are closest to me since birth.