Augie Rowe

BA, Art (Studio Arts – Digital Fabrication and Design)
Minor in Architecture

augierowe@gmail.com

Putt, Putt, Pass is an exploration of the three processes of Clay Modeling, CNC Machining, and 3D Printing through which I will be creating a mallet style putter in each of the three manufacturing techniques. Through this exploration I will document each process with both a time sheet and skill required to complete each task. Along with this, I will be performing a study on which technique would be more favorable for different aspects of the design and production process of a putter head for golf. I will list the pros and cons of each process at various stages throughout the production process to show the possible advantages/disadvantages each may have in certain situations. In addition to the time and skill-based documentation, images of each technique will be used to document the physical changes being made over time throughout the production process. Each process will receive the same photographic documentation at a time interval of every 45 minutes from start to finish. Through the creation of Putt, Putt, Pass I wish to share both the processes, strengths, and weaknesses of each technique and arrive at a conclusion of 3 different but entirely the same putter heads created from 3D printed PLA, Hand Modeled Clay, and Machined 360 Brass. With this exploration in material and manufacturing processes for prototypes I hope to combine my lifelong passion for the game of golf with my interest in product development and design. In addition, I hope to accurately portray the creation of a functional object from three different workflows and disciplines as they are brought to fruition from their beginnings as an early ideation all the way to their completion as a functioning prototype which can be used to golf with.