Teaching and Pedagogy

Teaching Philosophy

I have taught in higher education for over 15 years across seven different institutions, including during my time as a graduate student. Throughout my teaching career, I have continuously honed my craft to develop a strong teaching philosophy around critical communication pedagogy (CCP). I challenge students to think for themselves based on their own perspectives and experiences and to learn from each other and work to create a comfortable and respectful environment and facilitate discussions that inspire broad participation from students. I frequently incorporate active learning techniques and reflection papers as tools for helping students experience and process what they are learning in the classroom. I believe in holding students to high standards while supporting them to achieve those standards.

Graduate Courses Taught at UWM

COMM 850/852 Seminar in Intercultural Communication: Critical Approaches to Culture and Identity
Taught online synchronous in Spring 2021 and in-person in Spring 2023

COMM 702 Seminar in Qualitative Communication Research
Taught in Spring 2022 and Fall 2023

Undergraduate Courses Taught at UWM

COMM 323 Communication in Groups and Teams
Taught in Fall 2021

COMM 350 Intercultural Communication
Taught online a/synchronous in Fall 2020 and Spring 2021; taught in-person in Fall 2021, Spring 2022, Fall 2022, Spring 2023, Fall 2023, and Spring 2024

COMM 363 Human Communication in Conflict
Taught Fall 2022 and Spring 2024