Shannon Spitzer

“Insects, worms and other small animals that carry out vital functions for life on earth have declined by 45 percent on average over 35 years, threatening human health, water quality and food supplies…”

-Steve Connor, “Vital invertebrates decline by 45 per cent, study finds,” independent.co.uk, July 2014

Before being introduced to this project I was not aware of the severity of the issue at hand. I was aware that the insect population was decreasing, but not at the rate it actually is. It is very concerning to hear, because insects serve as a very important part in our ecosystem. Insects assist pollination, and are vital part of the food chain.

For my project I have created a sound structure where spiders can rest and reside in, while being safe from the natural environment and its elements.

Materials

For my insect motel I used the following materials; cedar wood, dried leafs, hay, birch bark, and a collection of sticks. I used the cedar for the structure of the insect motel. The birch and the sticks were a collection used to stylize the final product. I wanted to decorate the hotel with natural materials to help it be apart of the outside environment. The hay and dried leafs are a filler used as a natural installation for the spiders to utilize when temperatures drop. According to Farmers Almanac, spiders tend to search for warm resting spots as soon as fall weather occurs. The hotel is to be installed on the bed of the forest or in a high area. Spiders travel on the ground, but typically like to settle in high areas, so regardless on where the hotel is placed it will be used.

Design

The hotel is designed to do two things. (1) Be a place spiders can build webs in and potentially stay for a period of time. (2) Be a place spiders can rest in cold temperatures. The way these two things were achieved was by the three sectors of the structure. In the center square structure is an open area were the spiders can build their webs. The remaining triangles on each end are to be filled with a natural installation. This area is the place where the spiders can go when temperatures, and weather become bad.

For more information on insect hotels and why they are made please visit, Niffy Homestead at https://www.niftyhomestead.com/blog/insect-hotel/

Maintenance Report

In terms of maintenance the DNR will need to make sure sidings are insolated. The remaining structure will naturally age, and will not need to be replaced.

Final Thoughts

For this project we were asked to create an insect hotel. When creating a design I started out by sketching out basic geometric shapes. It did not take long to come up with my hexagonal shape. The design had enough compartments as well as openness for the spiders to enjoy.

During my building process I did not have much experience with power tools or any wood shop machines. I was eager to begin this process. Surprisingly, I got accustom to the machines much faster than I expected. I did have a few troubles with measurements, but with patience I was able to work through it. It was a very exciting moment when I got the structure together; I could finally see a final product developing. After creating the structure, I went outside to gather my other natural materials, such as leaves and bark. My parent’s woodpile had plenty of birch bark to pick through; it was not a difficult search. Gluing the bark to the cedar was a timely process, but it was worth it in the end.

Looking at the project after completion, I am very happy with the results. It feels good to create a piece of artwork that has so much urgency. I am content with giving my piece away, because it will educate others that are not as aware of the insect population crisis.

Skip to toolbar