Lori Quigley

“Insects, worms, and other small animals that carry out vital functions for life on earth have declined by 45 percent average over 35 years, threatening human, water quality and food supplies…”

– Steve Connor, “Vital invertebrates decline 45 percent, study finds,” independent.co.uk, July 2014

Research Proposal

Bug motels are usually closed structures that protect insects from predators and harsh weather conditions. These motels provide a safe place for the insects to feed, rest, and reproduce. For my bug motel I would like to create a cozy home for butterflies.

Butterflies migrate during the colder months for a short period of time, some as little as a few weeks. In the months they are not migrating south, butterflies need shelter to protect them from the elements and other predators such as birds. My motel will provide a warm, protected home for butterflies where they can breed and make way for new butterflies.

Butterfly motels are pretty simple to make. My design very closes resembles a simple small house that will be able to protect the butterflies for many years. I want to feature multiple closed compartments the slotted doors that will protect the butterflies from any natural elements. I would also like a multitude of other compartments where butterflies can sit and rest.

Research of Insect

There are approximately 20,000 species of butterflies in the world, 750 of which can be found in the United States. In the last 20 years, we have seen a 95 % decline in this insect’s population. With conservation efforts, we can help prevent this number from dropping any further.

The size of butterflies varies by species, with the largest reaching almost 12 inches across, and the smallest may only be half an inch. Butterflies are also a cold-blooded insect, meaning they will take on the temperature of their surroundings. Because of this, many butterflies cannot handle extreme weather such as smoldering summers or freezing winters.

To get away from the cold, the insect will migrate on an average of 2,500 miles in order to find a warmer climate (San Diego Zoo).

Reflection

When I was first assigned to make a bug motel, I wasn’t too excited to do it. I didn’t see the importance of the project, or the urgency of the problem. As I began the research and development of my butterfly house, however, I saw how much we simple things we can do to help these inspects to strive.

All inspects across the spectrum of been seeing drops in population thanks to the increased use of pesticides, urbanization, and habitat destruction. This decline in insects we are seeing worldwide cause a limitation to many larger animal’s diets and vegetation crops are also suffering from the dwindling numbers of pollinating insects.

I hope that my simple butterfly house will not only provide a safe and comfortable home to butterflies across Wisconsin, but also spread awareness why insects are declining and why it matters.

Skip to toolbar