Lea Scheck

“Insects, worms and other small animals that carry out vital functions for life on earth have declined by 45 percent on average over 35 years, threatening human health, water quality and food supplies…” 

-Steve Connor, “Vital invertebrates decline by 45 per cent, study finds,” independent.co.uk, July 2014.

When we first started this project, I was not as aware of the decline as I am now because I could not visibly see a difference. However, in my Topics in Modern Biolo- gy class, we learned in detail about the various negative effects and what they mean for the future of our planet. This issue relates to every life form on earth. Insects are needed for the sustainment of soil and crops, which in turn are essential for every living organism. It is disappointing that this declination has mostly been caused by humans through deforestation and urbanization. This means that we have to find a solution.

At first, my insect hotel design was a lot more complicated than it needed to be. In my final design, I simplified many parts, but was able to use ideas from the first. It has sections for insects such as ladybugs and a variety of other invertebrates, as well as a roof to cast away water. It could be hung on a tree, mounted to a pole, or sat on stone/cinderblocks.

Materials

-Wood: for the main structure of the insect hotel. It is strong and provides a safe interior. Insects are more likely to feel invited by a natural surface.

-Pinecones: a safe place for ladybugs to lay their eggs and a place for hibernation during the winter.

-Leaves: mimic the litter on a forest floor and provide a place to rest in.

-Sticks: beetles, centipedes, and woodlice like to lurk beneath decaying wood.

-Chickenwire: to contain and provide a dense area of natural resources.

Most insect hotels need a roof to maintain a dry habitat; although some invertebrates enjoy cool damp conditions. Natural fillers are useful for resting places such as the ones previously mentioned, as well as others like bark and straw.

References

http://www.bbcwildlife.org.uk/sites/birmingham.live.wt.prcedenthost.co.uk/files/Insect%20Hotel.pdf

http://permaculturenews.org/2013/10/08/building-insect-hotel/

http://www.pacifichorticulture.org/articles/insect-hotels/

Modifications: The first design I had involved a lot of angles and I had many ideas which I tried to combine altogether. I realized that a simpler design would be easier to build and looks more classic and clean. This one also allows multiple ways for it to be displayed.

Maintenance Report

The leaves should be replaced in both sections. The sticks and pinecones can be replaced if chosen to do so. Each compartment may be filled with any natural resource that was previously mentioned.

Reflection

We were asked to build an insect hotel – from the ideation phase to the final wooden structure – in order to better understand and expose the negative effects that the decline of insects has on this earth. In order to do so, we researched insects and the optimal habitats for them. Taking what we learned, we designed hotels based on aesthetics and functionality. We made cardboard models of what we had drawn, which led to learning how to create the full wooden pieces.

I began with sketching out how I wanted my hotel to look. Then, I used Sketchup to figure out realistic dimensions, which I used to make the cardboard model. These steps were a lot quicker and easier than the actual wood building. I didnʼt realize the amount of steps and how much time it would take just to cut the pieces before putting them together. I felt that the assembling process was more satisyfing because I could finally see my insect hotel start to take shape. There were a lot more issues than I thought there would be, but I think I managed my time well. Simplifying my piece helped me feel more confident in what I was doing because I already had most of what I needed.

I think I struggled the most with thinking I planned everything out, but I didnʼt actually fully break down how I was going to build the final structure. At first, I thought it was very difficult and confusing not knowing exactly what I was doing in the woodshop, but I realized that I just had to try things to figure out what to do. It was interesting to see how most people did not know what they were doing and had never experienced wood working before, but we were all just doing it. This project showed me that I should plan better for every detail, but also be willing to change things when needed. Besides learning how to build, I learned a lot about insects and how they affect us. I

Skip to toolbar