Kaelyn Phelps

“Insects, worms, and other small animals that carry out vital functions for life on earth have declined by 45 percent average over 35 years, threatening human, water quality and food supplies…”

– Steve Connor, “Vital invertebrates decline 45 percent, study finds,” independent.co.uk, July 2014

Research Proposal

I wanted to create a shelf or stair-like structure. I decided to make both sides have steps so that the overall shape is crescendo-ing. Each little “stair” would have a small compartment underneath for the bugs to reside in.

Research of Insect

My motel is going to be filled with mostly branches and pinecones, so

Beetles, centipedes, spiders and woodlice seem to enjoy such spaces. But to be honest, it’s mostly going to be filled with spiders because they are the literal devil and are everywhere, especially small spaces, like a bug motel. I’m not adding photos because everyone knows what spiders and centipedes look like, and it’s not pleasant to look at.

Final Thoughts/Reflection

Personally I didn’t enjoy this project, but I’m glad I did it. It was good exposure to the wood workshop. I think I would enjoy working more with wood and designing my own compositions so to speak.

I understand the need for bug motels, due to the decrease in their population. So I know there will be good use out of all of us making these motels. But as an artist, I didn’t find this project very inspiring or rewarding- but I understand that there will be projects along the way that every artist wont enjoy, and this was one of them.

As an artist, I like to change my ideas and the final piece as I go along, and this is, being wood, makes it almost impossible. I like to let my pieces evolve as I make them, but this was rather mathematical and uninspired. But in the end, it is still a pleasing piece to look at, I just didn’t like the process of making it. But I am very thankful for working in the workshop, so now for future projects, I can make my own ideas come to life.

Skip to toolbar