Logan Grant

“Insects, worms and other small animals that carry out vital functions for life on earth have declined by 45 percent on average over 35 years, threatening human health, water quality and food supplies…” 

-Steve Connor, “Vital invertebrates decline by 45 per cent, study finds,” independent.co.uk, July 2014.

According to endangered species international, 52 Percent of insects are endangered today and for this reason, UW-Milwaukee has proposed to make “Insect Motels” to provide habitats for these endangered creatures. These “insect motels” are habitats for insects and will be permanently placed around Wisconsin state parks for the public to see new ecosystems blossom.

My personal proposal would be to build a habitat for all insects instead of focusing in on one type, so all can benefit. The original shape of my structure was a hexagonal pyramid with a wire base that is raised up off the ground four inches. The top of the structure would have been open to see the insects and to put more vegetation in. Due to personal errors of the cuts I made, I had to come up with a new habitat on the fly. This new design consisted of a shelter box with a twisting stick roof that would be filled with leaves. It will be raised off the ground approximately six feet on a wooden post. All of the insect motels being made at UW-Milwaukee are made of reclaimed urban lumber and other natural materials, such as, leaves, sticks, grass, bark, and natural stains. This is because the insects like to hide in piles of leaves or the little nooks and crannies of a pile of sticks. Also natural stains were used as an alternative to ordinary stains because they weren’t harmful to the insects.

Maintenance Report

My insect motel has a post attached to it, but needs another one so it can be at its intended height, approximately six feet from the top. The maintenance required would be to check and see if it needs more leaves in it every once in a while.

Reflection

For this project I was asked to make an insect motel to help combat the dwindling insect population, while blending form and function. The structure was intended to target a specific or several specific endangered insect species in Wisconsin and is going to be placed at a Wisconsin state park permanently. We had to take in account that these structures will be outside and available to the public, so it could be vandalized or fall apart from the weather.

For me, going into this project I was confused with how I could make a structure that met the requirements of form and function. I originally made a upside-down coffin structure that I later trashed completely because it only met the function part. Then after many failed ideas, I made what I thought to be, a structure that met both requirements and would interact with the public as well as house insects. But, I made the wrong cuts in the wood and could not make my new idea. I then had to come up with a new idea that met those requirements, and do it in a shorter time span than before. I finally came up with a structure and added onto It as I went and came up with something that met those requirements of form and function.

In the future, I think that I can take a lot away from this project and this whole class in general. I learned some basic art terms and techniques that will help me as I continue to make art in the future. This project has taught me how to work under pressure and how to blend function and form in a structure.

Skip to toolbar