Dane Lasecki

“Insects, worms, and other small animals that out vital functions for life on Earth have declined by 45 percent on average over 35 years, threatening human health, water quality and food supplies”

– Steve Connor, “Vital invertebrates decline 45 percent. study finds,”

It is plain and simple, insects are dying, and dying fast. The disappearance of bees, butterflies, and many more types of bugs have been on the demise of life. There are many theories of why the bugs are dying, but thats really not the point of this project. What we are doing is creating a forever home for these bugs, a place to dwell, eat, and coexist with nature with the aid of human imagination and work. The point is to create a insect “hotel” for a specie or species of insects to live without the fear of dying off. Re-entering them into the ecosystem is essential for all living things.  The most exciting part is that we as designers can think, design, and build what these hotels will look like. The ultimate goal is for these hotels to be placed in a park here in Wisconsin, so that the insect world can thrive and aid the entire ecosystem.

These bugs are dying so fast, this can not happen at the rate it is happening, with continual growth in this initiative, bugs will be on the upswing of existing.  The ones that need it the most, the ones that make living even for humans take place, need the help, especially the bees. Also for the the beauty that is nature, it wouldn’t be the same without the beautiful butterfly. These are the two insects that I will be focusing on the most.

The butterfly, one of the most iconicity beautiful insects off all, are of course feeling the effects on human existence and the modern era’s negative down falls. From caterpillar to beautiful butterfly is one of the most intrinsic, interesting process to witness. When the larva hatches, to growing into a fully mature caterpillar, eating leaves upon leaves, we see the beginning stages of life for the soon to be butterfly.

Eating the most vegetation possible, for them to use and harness that energy for the process to come. Once the caterpillar is ready, it forms a chrysalis, a hard outer shell it uses to turn itself into a butterfly. This is a pretty quick process, some 8 to 10 days,which is amazing because a caterpillar has zero resemblance to a butterfly. Butterflies like to hide when they retreat to their “home”. Usually they can be found in bushes or underside of leaves. Like the moth, butterflies like dark places, as well, and that will be very evident in the insect hotel.  Also a sector housing will be necessary too, for this is what they eat.

Bees are the most talked about insect that there is less and less of them every year. They are disappearing at an extremely violent and dangerous rate. Bees are vital to all things that grow. From out gardens, our crops, and some of the things we use as a bi product, are all at risk of vanishing.

Bees are the machines of nature which in they aid things to grow to life. From collecting pollen and nectar, and transferring it all over, they use pollen and nectar for their own use as well. Feeding their fellow bees in a hive is all from nectar and pollen. Essentially we use their by product to make honey and other consumer goods. The environment has had massive consequences for the bees, they are dying because of our very irresponsible ways of living.  Without bees we would not have pretty flowers to pic or food to put on our tables. That is why it is vital for us to maintain and grow the current bee population.  In the insect hotel, there will be a place just for them. I will take painted PBC pipe for them to populate and house their nectar and pollen needs, this will help the rest of the ecosystem, even though they can be pests to humans, but who cares, we need them for our survival. This artificial hive will act as a bee haven, that will embody the city like needs it takes for bees to live.

Though small and pesky, beetles are also on the decline with the rest of the insect world. Whether it be lady bugs or any of the borer beetles that infest the trees and a lot of times our homes, these insects are suffering the side effects of human involved practices concerning the environment.  Yes beetles invade our homes, but killing them isn’t the answer as well. We need a more responsible way of getting them to a harmless environment and out of our hair. Thats why including them in the insect motel/hotel is crucial. Beetles love to crawl around in straws, leaves, pinecones, sticks, and grasses, and thats what would be incorporated in the insect hotel. It would be easy to attract them, due to their availability in all of these areas, so incorporating a cubby full of grass and straw will be extremely appreciated I’m sure from our little beetle friends.

Insect Motels

Insect Motels are a great DIY hobby that anyone can achieve with the right understanding of insects, the right materials, and the right place to put the completed project. Since bugs are an all natural, outdoorsy species, the motel has to justify their living requirements. Using materials that are found outside and that are available to you is key to making a great insect motel. For my design of the insect motel, I used only three core building materials. The main material is wood. It doesn’t have to be mahogany or ebony by no means, the best stuff to use is probably in your backyard or at a local lumber store. Get the cheap stuff, because only bugs will be using this. The second material I used, is composite peg board. I did this for physical appearance and for specific bugs to crawl or fly inside to escape the harsh weather Wisconsin can bring. Lastly I used basic chicken or mesh wire to hold all the contents like grass, greens, straw, pinecones, and so on in the insect motel so contacts would spill out.

To keep everything together, I used wood glue, nails, and screws, which everyone has in their garage or workshop.  My insect hotel is on the taller side, standing about 4.5 feet.  So it would sit on ground level, only elevated a little by concrete blocks, exceeding no longer in 6 1/2” inches wide and 18” inches long, to preserve the design scheme. The height is perfect for curious little ones wanting to look closely at what is happening and also for adults to look into will no disturbance of the insects at all. In total, my insect motel will probably benefit a lot of insect species, especial beetles, ants, bees, and butterflies. To aid all of these insects I installed all key ingredients for there living needs.  For he beetles, I installed pinecones, cedar shims, and many different grasses for them to live in.  For the bees I, installed three mini clay pots to set up a mini hive that would be protected from the elements. Lastly, for the butterflies, the peg board screen will make a perfect place for them to hide and stay in the dark for their special needs as well. The general habitat for all insects is to do basically anything to survive.  Whether it be living, sleeping, eating, or hiding, my insect motel makes that all happen.

Insect info and Insect Hotel Links for help and guidance

http://www.insectidentification.org http://www.bugfacts.net/insects.php

http://www.wildaboutgardens.org.uk/thingstodo/inaweekend/bug-mansion.aspx

https://www.niftyhomestead.com/blog/insect-hotel/

http://dnr.wi.gov

Maintenance for Insect Motel

-Remove all the pegboard with a drill. Then replace the inside with all the desired ingredients (Pinecones, Straw, forest greens, bark, etc.)

-Make sure that there is a base under the insect motel at all times to prevent moisture inundation from the bottom.

-Replace peg board and cut to size every year.

-Place on a path or a heavily traffic area for most people exposure to see the insects naturally dwell.

Reflection

When ending the plaster project I was excited to get right into something else, since I didn’t like working with that material that much, and wood seemed like an easier material to work with. I didn’t know at the time what we would be doing with the wood until the gentlemen from the DNR came to talk to us about bugs.  Gross, ugly, and pesky bugs, I thought, what in the world are we doing. It is a great cause to save the insects of the world, but why are we the chosen ones to save them and putting all this pressure on to our shoulders. I wasn’t that interested in the beginning mostly due to my uninformed background of bugs, and truly because I don’t like them. However, I was excited to work with wood since the last time I did was in Middle school in my adolescent years.

When initially picking out the wood, I was wondering to myself how I was going to make this very distressed wood into a finished masterpiece made fit for the best bugs out there. The planer was the answer along with the table saw to get the right measurements and smooth surfaces that I desired. Then I went to the chop saw to make all the pieces I needed for assembly. Once that was completed, it was time to put it all together.  Wood glue, and the air nail gun became my best friend. Putting everything together seemed pretty effortless since the cuts and my design had very standard shapes and cuts. Then it came back to me that this is suppose to be for bugs to dwell in. So I had to brainstorm what to fill these large cubbies with to help maintain a positive insect ecosystem. So I categorized the insects I picked to cater to and picked which cubby each insect would have. So I got pinecones, white pine, straw, clay pots, and cedar shims to fill it up.  I then covered it with chicken wire to make sure everything would be secure inside. With that all completed, the motel was completed and ready for the first guests.

I learned many new and old things while working through this project. Not only did I relearn all wood shop etiquette and how to use the machines, I learned at a more mature level, which in return I can retain a lot of this new information. I also had a realization of how insects are truly one of the biggest victims of this earth because of human existence. I learned that we should be more responsible as a species, and on a higher level, with the intelligence we have, we should be more aware of our negative impacts on the environment.  That goes for all species in the world and all ecosystems. Though this will be a little impact, it will sure help to grow awareness of the bug pandemic. Also it is a very awarding feeling to have a project actually installed and having the honor of having it displayed at a state park in Wisconsin, where thousands of people visit every year.

Skip to toolbar