Chelsea Sagers

“Insects, worms, and other small animals that carry out vital functions for life on earth have declined by 45 percent average over 35 years, threatening human, water quality and food supplies…”

– Steve Connor, “Vital invertebrates decline 45 percent, study finds,” independent.co.uk, July 2014

Research Proposal : Bee & Bee

It is known that without the existence of bees, humankind would cease to exist. Bees are responsible for the pollination of much of our most important crops. In recent years, we have seen a drastic decline in the bee population. This is startling. There are many common factors contributing to this decline; pollution, insecticides, and destruction of natural habitats.

Playing on the idea of a human bed and breakfast, B&B or “Bee & Bee,” if you will, I intended to create a luxurious resting spot for bees, complete with breakfast in form of bee-friendly perennials on the rooftop.

Research of Insect : Bee

Through my research I found that bees enjoy cozying up in ¼ inch tubular holes. I also examined which plants bees prefer, as well as which ones were also perennials, meaning they re-sprout yearly on their own. This was in the hopes that the Bee & Bee would require little to no maintenance, providing shelter and a snack for seasons to come.

Flowers that attract bees and are also perennials include (but are not limited to):

PRIMULAS

BLUEBELLS

CROCUS

MINT

THRIFT/SEA PINK

BERGAMONT

VERBENA

ECHINOPS

Initial Sketches and Final Preparatory Drawing

With my bee hotel, I not only wanted to give bees an option of crashing at my place, but I also wanted to attract them to the refuge. Bees are attracted to certain plants, so a planter on the roof was an obviously necessity to me.

I knew that I wanted to play with the natural lines in the grain of the wood with my design. I wanted the Bee & Bee to resemble a structure, not so much a traditional house.

With sharp, clean lines, the design took a modern, industrial feel, thus adding wire and ceramic to it seemed fitting aesthetically.

Scale was another consideration that was made in the design. Many of the bee hotels featured online seemed massive considering how tiny bees actually are. By creating a small structure, I figured I could do the most good, interfering as little as possible with the landscape.

Final Images

There were technical difficulties with the limited reach of the radial arm saw that prevented me from cutting my block of wood into a full triangle. Instead I had to quickly revise my plan, and roll with it. I was left with a beautifully mod, complex structure that I like much more than my intended design. It was a happy mistake.

White wood putty was added as a surprising visual element, playing again with the industrial and organic elements of this structure.

Reflection

I am pleased with the end result of the Bee & Bee project, although there are parts that I would revise. I am uncertain that the hotel will stand firmly given the posts provided. I am also worrisome that the planter will be left neglected. Scale-wise I maybe should have gone slightly larger.

In regards to craftsmanship there are places where the wood blew out while I drilling. There are dents and rounded corners from me clumsily dropping it.

Overall I happy with the balance I achieved with this project: visually stimulating with a practical application. I believe my structure is a more subtle, refined take on the “bug hotel” trend.

Sources:

Top 30 Flowers For Bees

Skip to toolbar