Aaron Isbell

“Insects, worms, and other small animals that carry out vital functions for life on earth have declined by 45 percent average over 35 years, threatening human, water quality and food supplies…”

– Steve Connor, “Vital invertebrates decline 45 percent, study finds,” independent.co.uk, July 2014

Research Proposal

Insects play a very importance role in maintain­ing a harmonious ecosystem and this insect hotel provides a place for a diverse group of insects to hibernate during the winter. The concept of my design places a geometric angled pattern on a flat vertical plain, where the design extends out­side of the edges of the border of the plain.

Research of Insect

The angled storage com­partments contain small blocks of wood and pine cones, an ideal home for hibernating insects like ladybugs which are beneficial come spring time for removing crop-damaging aphids. And the ladybugs that are taking up residence in this insect hotel won’t be found in someone’s home. Another insect that can be found hiber­nating in this insect ho­tel is the green lacewing, which are also good for aphid control.

Reflections

This project was great for introducing and incorporating the shop equipment. I know everyone has their own opinions on on Sketch­Up, but for my project it was easy to work with and provided a well needed visual and measurement guide. Everyone had their own project but it still felt collaborative and I felt I always had someone to work and problem solve with. This was my first time using Sketch Up and the equipment in the shop. It wasn’t overwhelming, I learned a lot and enjoyed the process

Skip to toolbar