RICHARD D. MARCUS
Sheldon B. Lubar School of Business, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, 3202 N. Maryland Ave., Milwaukee, WI 53201
Office: Lubar Hall S430F, (414) 229-4103
Home: 7674 N Seneca Rd., Fox Point, WI 53217, (414) 228-7731
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- A.B., Economics, The University of Michigan, Honors College, 1975.
- M.A., Economics, University of Chicago, Department of Economics, 1977.
- Ph.D., Economics, University of Chicago, Department of Economics, 1983. Dissertation: Interruptions in Schooling of Young Women and Young Men.
- M.S., Finance, University of Wisconsin-Madison, Graduate School of Business, 1989.
- Chair of the Executive Committee, Lubar School of Business, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, 2003-present.
- Associate Professor, Lubar School of Business, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, 1990-present.
- Director of Academic Programs, School of Business Administration, University of Wisconsin – Milwaukee, 1997-1998.
- Executive Director – Masters Programs, School of Business Administration, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, 1995-1997.
- Interim Director, International Business Center, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, January, 1991 to August, 1992.
- Assistant Professor, School of Business Administration, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, 1985-1990.
- Assistant Professor, Department of Economics, Cleveland State University, 1983-1985.
- Instructor, Department of Economics, Cleveland State University, 1979-1983.
- National Institute of Mental Health, Traineeship in Human Capital Research, University of Chicago, 1977-1979.
- Board of Directors, Elevación International, Inc., a not-for-profit organization that assists entrepreneurs in finding investors for start-up companies in Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Mexico and Venezuela, 2005-2007.
- Trustee, Village of Fox Point, elected in 1991 for 1-year term. Re-elected in 1992 and again in 1995 to two three-year terms, 1992-1998.
- Chairman, North Shore Water Commission, 1996-1997, Commissioner 1994-1998.
- Student Analyst, Electrical Tariff Department, Michigan Public Service Commission, Lansing, Michigan, 1977.
- Chen, K., J.T. Halford, Y.C. Kim, and R.D. Marcus, “The Trading and Non-Trading Derivative Activities of U.S. Bank Holding Companies,” International Review of Accounting, Banking and Finance, Vol.9, Number 2/3/4, 2017, pp. 37-65.
- Chen, K., X. Gong, and R.D. Marcus, “The New Evidence to Tendency of Convergence in the Solow Model,” Economic Modelling, Vol. 41, (August 2014), pp. 263-266.
- Chen, K., Y.C. Kim, and R.D. Marcus, “Hands in the Cookie Jar: The Case of Management Buyouts,” International Review of Accounting, Banking and Finance, Vol. 3, Number 1, Spring 2011, pp. 43-70.
- Chen, K., Y.C. Kim, and R.D. Marcus, “Institutional Behavior of Trading Acquirer Stocks Around Mergers and Acquisitions,” International Review of Accounting, Banking and Finance, Vol. 1, Number 2, July 2009, pp. 19-36.
- Chang, K., Y.C. Kim, and R.D. Marcus, “The Ownership Structure of Korean Firms after an Initial Public Offering,” Global Business and Finance Review, Vol.12, Number 2, Fall 2007, pp. 57-74.
- Marcus, R.D. “Looking in a Crystal Ball,” TSA Investor, Vol. 8, Issue 2, Fall 2002, pp. 3-4. Available also at: http://www.uwsa.edu/hr/benefits/retsav/fall02.pdf
- Marcus, R.D. “Why Do Immigrants Own Inner-city Stores?” Ideas on Liberty, Vol. 51, No. 8, 2001, 40.
- Marcus, R.D., Solberg, D., and Zivney, T.L., “A Reexamination of the Benefits to International Diversification,” Recent Developments in International Banking and Finance, Vol. 4 and 5 (Amsterdam: Elsevier Science Publishers B.V., 1991), 315-340.
- Zivney, T.L., and Marcus, R.D., “The Day the United States Defaulted on Treasury Bills,” The Financial Review, Vol. 24, No. 3, August 1989, 475-489.
- Marcus, R.D., “Freshmen Retention Rates at U.S. Private Colleges: Results From Aggregate Data,” Journal of Economic and Social Measurement, Vol. 15, No. 1, 1989, 37-55.
- Heywood, J.S., and Marcus, R.D., “Freshman Retention: Examining a Human Capital Decision with Aggregate Data, Journal of Marketing for Higher Education, Vol. II, No. 1, 1989, 29-43.
- Harford, J.D., and Marcus, R.D., “A General Equilibrium Model of the Volunteer Military,” Southern Economic Journal, Vol. 55, No. 2, October, 1988, 472-484.
- Marcus, R.D., “How to Deal With Structural Change in the Data,” Journal of Business Forecasting, Vol. 6, No. 4, 1988, 14-16.
- Marcus, R.D., “Knowing Your Left From Your Right,” New Accountant, April, 1988, 28.
- Marcus, R.D., Swidler, S., and Zivney, T.L., “An Explanation of Why Shareholders’ Losses are So Large After Product Recalls,” Managerial and Decision Economics, Vol. 8, No. 4, 1987, 295-300.
- Marcus, R.D., “Transferable Tax Liabilities on Real Estate,” Land Economics, Vol. 63, No. 1, 1987, 102-106.
- Marcus, R.D., “Earnings and the Decision to Return to School,” Economics of Education Review, Vol. 5, No. 3, 1986, 309-317.
- Harford, J.D., and Marcus, R.D., “Tuition and U.S. Private College Characteristics: The Hedonic Approach,” Economics of Education Review, Vol. 5, No. 4, 1986, 415-430.
- Marcus, R.D., “Measuring the Rate of Return to Interrupted Schooling,” Journal of Educational Statistics, Vol. 9, Winter, 1984, 295-310.
- Marcus, R.D., Instructor’s Manual for Managerial Economics, Cengage Publishing, 2011, Twelfth Edition.
- Marcus, R.D., Study Guide for Managerial Economics, South-Western Publishing, 2005, Tenth Edition (341 pages).
- Marcus, R.D., Study Guide for Managerial Economics, South-Western Publishing, 2002, Ninth Edition (366 pages).
- Marcus, R.D., Study Guide for Managerial Economics, South-Western College Publishing, 1999, Eighth Edition (298 pages).
- Marcus, R.D., Study Guide for Managerial Economics: Outlines, Problems, and Solutions. West Publishing, 1996, Seventh Edition.(322 pages).
- Marcus, R.D., Study Guide for Managerial Economics: Outlines, Problems, and Solutions. West Publishing, 1993, Sixth Edition (270 pages).
Published Book Reviews:
- Marcus, R.D., Review of “Cyber-Investing: Cracking Wall Street with Your Personal Computer,” by David Brown and Kassadra Bentley, Journal of Financial Education, Vol. 21, Fall, 1995, 91-92.
- Marcus, R.D., Review of two Databases for Accounting Research, Issues in Accounting Education, Vol. 6, No. 1, Spring, 1991, 149-151.
- Marcus, R.D., Review of “Financial/Accounting Literature Database,” by Jean Louis Heck, The Journal of Finance (September, 1990), Vol. 45, No. 4, pp. 1354-1357.
- Marcus, R.D., Review of “The Strategy and Tactics of Pricing: A Guide to Profitable Decision Making,” by Thomas T. Nagle, The Wall Street Review of Books, Vol. XV, No. 4, 1990, 214-216.
- Marcus, R.D., Review of “The Dilemma of Education in a Democracy,” by Richard Powers, Economics of Education Review, Vol. 5, No. 3, 1986, 340-341.
Newspaper, Internet Writings, and Television Interviews:
- Marcus, R.D., “Economist Predicts ‘Barely Perceptible’ Growth,” BizTimes Milwaukee Magazine, July 9, 2012. Article published in Vol. 17, No. 8, pages 33-36, and is also accessible at: http://www.biztimes.com/article/20120709/MAGAZINE03/120709838/ Interview discussing the last six months of the 2012.
- Marcus, R.D., “Variables Make 2012 a Year of Uncertainties,” BizTimes Milwaukee, January, 27, 2012. http://www.biztimes.com/blogs/milwaukee-biz-blog/2012/1/24/variables-make-2012-a-year-of-uncertainties
- Marcus, R.D., “Rip off the economic Band-Aids and heal the wounds,” Biz Times Milwaukee, July 22, 2011. http://www.biztimes.com/blogs/milwaukee-biz-blog/2011/7/21/rip-off-the-economic-band-aids-and-heal-the-wounds
- The Telegraph, “Economics: The last time the US defaulted (and blamed the printer),” July 18, 2011. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/8639896/The-last-time-the-US-defaulted-and-blamed-the-printer.html
- Emma Rowley, The Telegraph, “City Diary: U.S. Default Unthinkable: Well, at least since 1979.” http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/comment/citydiary/8641134/US-default-unthinkable-Well-at-least-since-1979.html
- Susan Tompor, “We’re all in trouble if U.S. defaults on debt,” Detroit Free Press, July 14, 2011 interview with Richard Marcus and others, http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2011107140518
- Reuters, “FACTBOX: The Day the U.S. (Technically) Defaulted,” discusses my paper with Terry Zivney on July 11, 2011. http://in.reuters.com/article/2011/07/11/usa-debt-default-idINN1E76A0XA20110711
- Interview of me by Julie Slattery on Bloomberg TV, June 27, 2011 and aired several times on June 29, 2011 on my article on The Day the United States Defaulted on Treasury Bills with Terry Zivney.
- Cited in The Economist, June 23, 2011 in “The Mother of All Tail Risks,” http://www.economist.com/node/18866851
- Jason Zweig, Wall Street Journal, “The Intelligent Investor: Own Government Bonds? Here’s Why You Should Be Worried,” May 21, 2011 mentions through a hyperlink to my research with Terry Zivney. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704083904576335420994526968.html
- Marcus, R.D., “Between a Rock and a Hard Place,” Biz Times Milwaukee, January 21, 2011. http://www.biztimes.com/blogs/milwaukee-biz-blog/2011/1/18/between-a-rock-and-a-hard-place
- Marcus, R.D., “This Bear is Not Optimistic about 2010,” Biz Times Milwaukee, January 22, 2010. Article published in Vol. 15, No. 22, pages 46-47, and is also accessible at: http://www.biztimes.com/news/2010/1/22/this-bear-is-not-optimistic-about-2010.
- Marcus, R.D., “Prepare for a Double Dip Recession,” Biz Times Milwaukee, January 28, 2009. http://www.biztimes.com/blogs/milwaukee-biz-blog/2009/1/27/prepare-for-double-dip-recession
Publications on Speculative Issues:
- Marcus, R.D., “What is ‘Value-Based’ Time Management and How Can it Help You Be More Effective?” Part 2, Wisconsin Masonic Journal, Vol. XXXVIII, November, 2005, page 5.
- Marcus, R.D., “My How Time Flies: Here’s How You Can Get Better Control of Your Time and Make It Work for Your Benefit,” Part 1, Wisconsin Masonic Journal, Vol. XXXVIII, October, 2005, p. 8
- Marcus, R.D., “The Monument of the Broken Column: An Investigation into Levels of Meaning,” Part 2, Wisconsin Masonic Journal, Vol. XXXVI, November, 2003, p. 9.
- Marcus, R.D., “The Monument of the Broken Column: An Investigation into Levels of Meaning,” Part 1, Wisconsin Masonic Journal, Vol. XXXVI, October, 2003, 8.
- Marcus, R.D., “Climbing the Seven Liberal Arts and Sciences – A Lifelong Journey,” Wisconsin Masonic Journal, Vol. XXXV, Number 11, December 2002, 10.
- Marcus, R.D., “A Stroll Through the Seven Liberal Arts and Sciences,” MasonicWorld, January, 2002. http://www.calodges.org/no574/Article_Liberal_arts.htm
- Marcus, R.D., “Discretion and Secrets,” MasonicWorld, July, 2002. http://www.masonicworld.com/education/files/artjul02/discretion_and_secrets.htm
- Marcus, R.D., “What Fortitude Achieves,” MasonicWorld, May, 2001. http://www.masonicworld.com/education/articles/What-Fortitude-Achieves.htm
- Marcus, R.D., “Wisdom, Strength, and Beauty,” MasonicWorld, March, 2001. http://www.masonicworld.com/education/files/wsb.htm
- Marcus, R.D., Error Rate Analysis of Financial Data Tapes: Compustat Versus Value Line, bound M.S. thesis, available at the School of Business Library, University of Wisconsin, Madison, 1988.
- Marcus, R.D., Interruptions in Schooling of Young Women and Young Men, bound Ph.D. thesis available at Regenstein Library, University of Chicago, or University of Michigan microfilm, 1983.
Recent Working Papers:
- Marcus, R.D., “Internal and Sustainable Growth Rates in the Presence of Scale Economies.”
Published Technical Reports:
- Piwek, K. and Marcus, R.D., “Attitudes Toward U.S.-Canada Free Trade Agreement and a Possible North American Free Trade Agreement,” Wisconsin International Trade, November – December 1991, Vol. 7, Issue 6, 2-11.
- Marcus, R.D., Chi, T., and Mehra, A., “Foreign Multinational Investment in Wisconsin: Survey Responses on Foreign Direct Investment,” IBC Working Paper, June, 1993
- Marcus, R.D., “Wisconsin Exports: Surprising Growth in 1992,” IBC Working Paper, January, 1993.
- Marcus, R.D., and Piwek, K., “Capital Structure and Financial Policies of U.S. and Japanese Automobile Companies,” IBC Working Paper, June, 1991.
PRESENTATION OF PAPERS
- Marcus, R.D., “Competitive Underwriting of Municipal Bonds in Smaller Communities,” for March 10, 2005 at the Midwest Finance Association meetings in Milwaukee.
- Chang, K. Y.C. Kim, R.D. Marcus, “Does Group-Affiliation Matter in IPO Pricing? Evidence from Korean Chaebols,” at the March 27-29, 2003 at the Midwest Finance Association in St. Louis.
- Marcus, R.D., “A Property Rights Perspective on Fractional Reserve Banking,” Discussant at the Midwest Finance Association meeting in Chicago, March 15, 2002.
- Marcus, R.D., “Redefining Usury,” at the National Faculty Leadership Conference, Chicago, June 28, 2002.
- Marcus, R.D ,“Is Europe an Optimum Currency Area,” at the International Forum: The EMU and the Euro, University of Wisconsin – Whitewater,” November 18, 1998.
- “Asset Model of Foreign Exchange Determination: Currency Betas on National Market Indices,” at the annual meeting of the Midwest Finance Association, March 21 1997, in Kansas City, Missouri.
- “Optimal Taxation and Public Employment: Bureaucrats and Draftees,” Economics and Finance seminar, School of Business Administration, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, October 3, 1997.
PUBLIC LECTURES AND WRITINGS FOR THE COMMUNITY
- “Tariffs, Taxes, Impacts, and Consequences,” invited talk JCC Senior Men’s Club, Whitefish Bay, WI, June 5, 2018.
- “What’s Ahead for Wisconsin Manufacturers from the New Administration?” Manufacturing Matters! 2017 Conference, C-Suite Track, Hyatt Regency Hotel, Milwaukee, WI, February 23, 2017.
- “Taking the Economy’s Temperature: Finding out how a person is doing, medical staff takes some measurements and ask questions. Likewise, we measure and ask questions on how the economy is doing mid-year,” Wisconsin Manufacturing Extension Partnership, Hilton Garden Milwaukee Park Place , Milwaukee, WI, July 21, 2016.
- “Short Cycles: The economy swings in short cycles within a longer running cycles and how we can use these patterns to forecast for four to five quarters ahead,” keynote speaker for the Council of Small Business Executives Board Meeting, Milwaukee Metropolitan Association of Commerce, at the Milwaukee Athletic Club, December 2, 2015.
- “It Ain’t Necessarily So: Global Facts the Turn Out Not to Be Facts at All,” keynote speaker, The 2013 Professional Certification Event, Marquette Alumni Hall, October 16, 2013.
- “Earnings per Share over the Business Cycle,” at the Student Investment Club, November 1, 2012
- “The Rocks of Scylla and Whirlpool of Charybdis: Sailing through the Monsters of Unemployment and Inflation”, at the Fox Point Town Club for the Fox Point Lutheran Church Men’s Club, January 13, 2011.
- “Economic Fables,” at the Hubbard Lodge, Shorewood, Wisconsin for the Shorewood Men’s Club, April 21, 2010.
- “Eucatastrophe,” at the UW-Milwaukee Student Union on the appeal of fantasy, March 16, 2010,
- “Six Myths and a Fact on Stocks,” UWM Student Investment Club, Lubar Hall, February 9, 2010.
- “Ethics of Leadership for Department Chairs,” Doing Right in the University, conference at the University of Madison, Business School, UW-Madison, Madison, Wisconsin, April 25, 2009.
- “Economics FAQ’s” an Economic Summit arranged by Kowal Investments, June 2009.
- “The Current Financial and Economic Crisis,” public panel discussion in Lecture N140 of Lubar Hall, December 12, 2008.
- “What is Truth?” panel discussion moderator, UWM Union E241, November 25, 2008.
- “What is Ahead for the Market: The Prospects for Stocks, Bonds, and the Economy, “ LX Club, Fox Point, Wisconsin, May 9, 2008.
- “Your TSA,” a talk for new employees on tax sheltered annuities, January 13, 2004.
- “The History of Money: From Ancient Electrum to DigiCash,” at Tomorrow’s Topic Today: Professional Development Series, September 21, 2002. Repeated the talk on January 7, 2004 at the Whitefish Bay Women’s Club.
- “Technical Stock Market Analysis: From Elliott Waves to Fibonacci Spirals,” at the Alumni College, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, October, 27, 2001.
- “The Seven Traps in Financial Decisions,” at the Alumni College, University of Wisconsin -Milwaukee, October 29, 2000.
- Appearance on Television Channel 6 Wake-up Milwaukee, October 28, 1997, discussing the impact of the stock market correction on October, 27, 1997.
- “Investing for the 21st Century,” lecture delivered in Oshkosh as part of the Wisconsin branch of the International Association of Financial Planners conference, September 10, 1996.
- “Two Tales of International Finance,” lectures delivered in Sheboygan and Racine as part of the Great Decisions 1995 series for the UWM Institute of World Affairs, March 13 and 14, 1995. Also appeared on PBS Channel 36 for a half-hour conversation on Great Decisions, March 19, 1995 and WHA Radio on March 13, 1995.
RESEARCH IN PROGRESS
- Marcus, R.D., “Bank Qualified Municipals.”
OTHER COMPLETED RESEARCH
- Marcus, R.D. and K. Chang, “Asset Model of Foreign Exchange Determination: Decomposition of Currency Betas Using Option Volatilities,” 1997 Midwest Finance Association.
- Marcus, R.D., “Estimating the Long Run Marginal Cost of Electrical Generating Capacity in Michigan,” report prepared for the Office of Tariff Analysis, Michigan Public Service Commission, September 21, 1977.
- Marcus, R.D., “Measurement Error and Serial Correlation in Grunfeld’s Investment Model: A Monte Carlo Study of the Cochrane Orcutt and Durbin Estimators,” Honors Thesis, The University of Michigan, April 21, 1975.
- “Product Recalls: Two Unanswered Questions,” awarded by the UWM Graduate School Research Committee, for the summer of 1986 ($3,888). Funded. (The MDE article was one product of this grant.)
- “Risk Changes After Drug Recalls,” School of Business Administration, Management Research Center (Release time of one course), Spring 1988.
- National Institute of Mental Health Traineeship, University of Chicago, 1975-1977 ($18,000).
RESEARCH AND TEACHING FIELDS
Principles of Finance and Business Scholars: Principles of Finance
- Global Financial Management
- Corporate Finance
- Managerial Economics
TEACHING AWARDS AND ACADEMIC HONORS
- Gold Star Teaching Award, Top Five Instructors for Mass Lectures, Fall 2009.
- Above and Beyond Award, UWM Student Accessibility Office, May 5, 2006.
- Gold Star Professors: Top Five Instructors for Mass Lectures, Talking Business, Spring 2003, Spring 2004, Spring 2005.
- Gold Star Professors: Top Five Instructors for Mass Lectures, Talking Business, July/August 2002.
- Beta Gamma Sigma, 1990.
- Outstanding Graduate Business Student, Graduate School of Business, University of Wisconsin-Madison, for distinguished academic achievement, leadership, and public service, May 1989.
- Teaching Award, UWM Business Advisory Council, 1988, School of Business Administration, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. The award, “acknowledges excellence in both undergraduate and graduate teaching.
- Honors Graduate, with High Distinction, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, 1975.
AWARDS AND CERTIFICATES
- MVE President’s Award 2009, presented January 2010, which reads, “Presented in appreciation for your substantial contribution to Greendale’s pursuit of excellence,” by the Midwest Vocal Express.
- SOAR Certificate of Appreciation, which reads, “for outstanding service and dedication to the students of the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee.” This certificate honors work as a faculty advisor to the UWM Investment Club, April 11, 2002.
- 1st Place Gold Medalist, Land of Lakes District Championship contest in Rochester, Minnesota, October 27, 2012; 2nd Place Silver Medal, Land of Lakes District Championship contest in Rochester, Minnesota, October 22, 2011; 1st Place Gold Medalist, Land of Lakes District Championship contest in Rochester, Minnesota, October 24, 2009; 2nd Place Silver Medalist, Land of Lakes District Championship contest in Appleton, Wisconsin, October 25, 2008; 1st Place Gold Medalist, Land of Lakes District Championship contest in Rochester, Minnesota, October 27, 2007, and in October 28, 2006; 2nd Place in LaCrosse, Wisconsin, October 22, 2005: 2nd Place in Appleton, Wisconsin, October 23, 2004: and 1st Place Gold Medalist, Land of Lakes District Championship contest in Rochester, Minnesota, October 24, 2003.
- 15th Place, in Portland, Oregon at the International Barbershop Chorus contest on July 6, 2012; 8th Place, in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania at the International Barbershop Chorus contest on July 3, 2010; 14th Place in Anaheim, California at the International Barbershop Chorus contest on July 3, 2009; 12th Place in Nashville, Tennessee at International Barbershop Chorus contest on July 2, 2008; 8th Place in Denver, Colorado at the International Barbershop Chorus contest on July 6, 2007; 5th Place Bronze Medalist in Indianapolis, Indiana at the International Barbershop Chorus contest on July 7, 2006; 10th Place in Salt Lake City, UT at the International Barbershop Chorus contest on July 9, 2005; 8th Place in Louisville, Kentucky at International Barbershop Chorus contest on July 3, 2004; and 5th Place Bronze Medalist in Montreal, Canada at International Barbershop Chorus contest on July 5, 2003.
- Resolution of Appreciation and plaque, Village of Fox Point, 1998
- UWM Mortar Board, Award of Appreciation, 1991.
1979-1985: Department of Economics, Cleveland State University.
- Courses Taught: Principles of Economics (undergraduate), Managerial Economics (undergraduate), Intermediate Price Theory (undergraduate), Industrial Organization (undergraduate), Public Regulation of Business (undergraduate),Economics of Pricing and Regulation (graduate), Microeconomic Analysis (graduate), Economics for the Executive M.B.A. (graduate)
1985-present: Lubar School of Business, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee.
- Courses Taught: Principles of Finance (undergraduate), Business Scholars: Principles of Finance (undergraduate), International Financial Management (undergraduate), Managerial Economics (undergraduate), Finance Analysis (graduate), Managerial Economics Foundations (graduate), Corporate Economics–Executive M.B.A. (graduate), International Corporate Economics –Executive M.B.A. (graduate) International Financial Management (graduate), Managerial Economics (graduate), Economic Analysis for Managers (graduate), Business Economics– MS in Management (graduate)
- July 15-30, 1991: Lecturer, Academy of National Economy, Moscow, USSR., Seminar: International Finance (graduate)
Ph.D. Dissertation Committees:
- V.T. Alaganar, Finance (member), 1988-1989., “Empirical Investigation of a Capital Asset Pricing Model Using Fundamental Variables”. Senior Quantitative Analyst, SSgA’s Advanced Research Center (ARC), Sydney, Australia: http://www.ssga.com/biography/person_bio_1650305.html
- Kevin M. Bahr, Finance (chair), 1989-1990. “An Analysis of Leveraged Buyouts,” Associate Professor, University of Wisconsin – Stevens Point, Wisconsin, http://www.uwsp.edu/busecon/Pages/Faculty/kbahr.aspx
- Peter Barrett, Finance (member), 1993-1994. “Factors Affecting Corporate Dividend Policy: A Survey Investigation of the Beliefs of Market Participants.” Professor of Finance, University of Wisconsin-Whitewater. (Peter died in 2000).
- Mohammed Musa, Finance (member), 1992-1995., “Post-Event Period Security Returns and Market Efficiency.” Associate Professor of Business and Finance, North-South University, Bangladesh
- Yuli Su, Finance (member), 1993-1996. “On the Winner-Loser Effect and A Contrarian Strategy for Stock Investment”, Associate Professor of Finance, San Francisco State University.
- Bijesh Tolia, Finance (member), 1993-May, 1997. “The CEO Compensation Puzzle – Theory and Practice,” Associate Dean, College of Business, Chicago State University.
- Yewmun Yip, Finance (member), 1991-December, 1997.“An Analysis of Haugen-Baker’s Hypothesis,” Associate Professor of Finance, University of South Dakota
- David Kesler, Finance (member), 1992-February, 1998. “An Investigation of Equity Investment Anomalies Using Implied Asset Returns Generated from a Contingent Claims Model,” Professor of Finance, Winona State University.
- Kiyoung Chang, Finance (Co-chair), 2004. “Three Essays on Korean IPOs,” Assistant Professor of Finance, Indiana University – South Bend.
- Saleh Albarbi, Finance (member), 2004. “Three Essays on Currency Risk Exposure,” Assistant Professor of Finance, Saudi Arabia.
- Todd Voit, Economics (member), 2004. “Fundamental Analysis, Fixed Effect Valuation and the Relative Strength of Operating Margins by Economic Sector and Keynes, The Investment Manager,” President, Voit Financial Advisors.
- Cheng-huei (Michael) Chiao, Finance (member), 2005. “Three Essays on Earnings Expectations and Security Returns.” Assistant Professor of Finance Missouri Western State University
- Sun Qi, Finance (member), 2006. “Three Essays on Post Earnings Announcement Drift.” Assistant Professor of Finance, California State University, San Marcos
- Wenlain Gao, Finance (member), May 2007. “Three Essays on Corporate Finance.” Assistant Professor, Brennan School of Business, Dominican University, Chicago, Illinois: http://www.dom.edu/bsb/faculty/fulltime/gao.html
- Pengfei Ye, Finance (member), May, 2007. “Three Essays on Mutual Fund Managers’ Behavior.” Assistant Professor of Finance, Lally School of Management and Technology, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, New York: http://lallyschool.rpi.edu/faculty/yep.html
- Wen-Hsiu Julia Chow, Finance (member), May, 2008. “Essays on Corporate Governance.” Assistant Professor of Finance, College of Business Administration Florida International University
- Praveen K. Das, Finance (member), May 2008. “Essays on Mutual Funds’ Investment and Proxy Voting Decisions.” Assistant Professor of Finance, University of Louisiana at Lafayette
- Kai Chen, Finance (chair), May 5, 2009. “Two Essays on Corporate Control Transactions.” Assistant Professor of Finance, Tilman School of Business, Mount Olive College, Mount Olive, North Carolina: http://www.moc.edu/?kai-chen-phd
- Zaifeng (Steve) Fan, Finance (member) May 9, 2011. “International Corporate Governance and Equity Anomalies,” Assistant Professor, University of Wisconsin – Whitewater
- Harold Shim, Finance (member), June 7, 2011. “Corporate Coinsurance and Mergers and Acquisitions.” Assistant Professor, Ulsam National Institute of Science and Technology, South Korea
- Feifei Zhu, Finance (member), June 7, 2011. “Essays in International Corporate Finance: Information Asymmetry and Capital Structure Around the World,” Assistant Professor, University of Hawaii
- Joshua A. Shindell (member, Economics Ph.D. committee), December 2, 2011. “The Effects of Economic Regulation and Firm Performance Volatility on CEO Compensation Packages,” Quantitative Analyst, Ashford Consulting Group, www.ashfordcg.com,, investment advisors for public and corporate pension funds.
- Ting Li (member), May 21, 2012. “Essays on Dual Class Firms Around the World.” Assistant Professor, Skidmore College, Saratoga Springs, NY
- Tim Mooney (member), April 30, 2013
- “Essays on the Role of Investment Banks as IPO Underwriters, Mutual Fund Managers, and Merger Advisors”
- Assistant Professor, Pacific Lutheran College, Tacoma, WA
- Emma Xiao (member), August 5, 2013. “Essays on Institutional Investors”
Ph.D. Program Faculty:
- Selected as member of the Supporting Faculty, 1986
- Selected as member of the Ph.D. Program Faculty, 1988
- Member of Ph.D. Program Committee, 1989-1991
- Member, Milwaukee County Pension Funding Alternatives Taskforce, 2006-2007.
- Member, Bond Review Panel for Milwaukee County, 2004.
- Secretary, Fox Point Foundation, 1999-2005.
- Treasurer, George Washington 1776 Foundation, 2003-2007.
- Secretary, GW Fund, 2000-2007.
- Member, Fox Point Storm Water Management Review Team, 1999-2001.
- Elected as Fox Point Village Trustee, 1991, reelected in 1992 and 1995. The seven member board oversees a $4 million budget with 68 employees.
- Chairman, Fox Point Water and Sewer Utility Committee, 1992-1998; Member, 2001-2007.
- Chairman, North Shore Water Commission, 1996 -1997, member since 1994.
- Chairman, Fox Point Tree Commission, 1997-1998.
Professional Review Activities
- Reviewer for International Journal of the Economics of Business, Economic Inquiry, Quarterly Journal of Business and Economics, Economics of Education Review, and Wall Street Review of Books
- Reviewer, Portland State University’s international business research awards.
Tenure/Promotion Outside Reviews:
- Reviewer of two business economists for granting tenure.
- American Finance Association
- Financial Management Association
- Midwest Finance Association
- American Economic Association
- Academy of International Business
- Mortar Board
- Beta Gamma Sigma and Current President of the Delta Chapter, UWM
XIV. UNIVERSITY SERVICE
- Member, UW-System Tax-Sheltered Annuity Review Committee, 1999-2004.
- Member, Advisory Committee to Katherine C. Lyall of decisions made by the Tax Sheltered Annuity Review Committee, 1995.
- Member, Advisory Committee to Katherine C. Lyall of decisions made by the Tax Sheltered Annuity Review Committee on insurance companies, 1997.
Membership on UW-Milwaukee Committees:
- Chair, Honorary Degrees Committee, 2012-13 and Member 2010-2013.
- Co-Chair, 2010-2011, Summer Session Compensation Committee.
- Parliamentarian, UWM Faculty Senate, 2004-2014
- Member, Division of Social Sciences Executive Committee, 2000-2004.
- Member, Taskforce on the UWM Energy Center, 2003-2004.
- Member of the All-University SECC Campaign, fall 2001 and fall 2000.
- Member, Program Review Team, SLIS, 2000.
- Chair, Committee on Reviews, 1998-1999, and Member, 1997-2000.
- Member, Program Array Review Committee of 25, 1997-1998.
- Chair, Faculty Advisory Committee on International Programs and Study, 1994-1996.
- Faculty Advisory Committee on International Programs and Study, member 1991-1995 and 1996-1997.
- Center for International Studies Review Committee, 1993.
- Faculty Senate, 1992-1993.
- Faculty Senate Budget Committee, 1992-1993.
- Center for Latin America Review Committee, 1992-1993.
- Faculty Advisory Subcommittee on Visas and Immigration Matters, 1991-1993.
- Economic Benefits Committee, 1987-1991.
- Undergraduate Program Review Committee, Chemistry, 1991.
Membership on LSB Committees and Chairmanships
- Chair of the LSB Executive Committee, 2003-2014.
- Member, AACSB Committee, 1999-2014.
- Chair, Taskforce for Health Care Management, 2013-14.
- Chair, Undergraduate Program Committee, 2001-2003 and 1991-1994; member 1999-2004.
- Chair, Finance and Managerial Economics Subcommittee of the Executive Committee, 2001-2001, 1997-1998, and 1993-1994.
- SBA Faculty Parliamentarian, 1995-2003.
- Member, AACSB Student Team, 1999-2013.
- Recruiting Chairman in Finance, 1997-1998.
- Chair, Undergraduate Reengineering Committee, 1993.
- Chair, Subcommittee on Policy for Possible Interruption on the Tenure Clock, 1991.
- Chair, Undergraduate Appeals Subcommittee, 1991-1992.
- Chair, Undergraduate Admissions Subcommittee, 1991-1992.
- Chair, International Business Committee, 1990-1991.
- Member as Dean’s Representative, M.B.A. Program Committee, 1995-1998
- Member as Dean’s Representative, M.S. Program Committee, 1995-1998
- Member, Executive M.B.A. Committee, 1986-1988, and 1994-1997.
- Member, Ph.D. Program Committee, 1989-1991.
- Member, Executive Committee, 1990-present.
- Member, Management Research Committee, 1988-1990.
- Member, Committee on Committees, 1986-1987.
Other Faculty/Staff Service:
- Lubar Faculty/Staff Talent Show organizer and MC, April 11, 2014.
- Lubar Faculty/Staff Talent Show organizer and MC, March 9, 2012.
- Faculty Staff Outreach event, Junior Achievement Finance Park, January 20, 2012.
- Steering Committee, UWM Faculty-Staff Christian Network, 1996-2013. Brings academic speakers to campus to discuss faith and scholarship. April 4, 1997 — Prof. Walter Bradley (Texas A&M); February 17, 1998 — Prof. William Craig (University of Manchester); March 1, 1999 — Dr. Eugene Lowry (Princeton Theological Seminary); April 3, 2000 — Prof. William Wehrenberg, (Dean of Allied Health, Clemson University), and March 6, 2001 — Prof. Quentin Schultze, (Calvin College, Michigan).
Faculty Advisor to Student Organizations:
- President, Beta Gamma Sigma, Delta Chapter, 2002-present.
- Faculty Advisor, UWM Student Investment Club, 1998-present.
- UWM Mortar Board Society, 1988-1991.
- Professional Pathways, Minority Student Mentor, 1987-1989.
- IVCF Student Organization, 1987-1990.
- Honors Economics Club, 1982-1984.
- Omicron Delta Epsilon, 1984-1985.