COVID-19

As an epidemiologist, I believe that I have an obligation to contribute where I can regarding the SARS-CoV-2 pandemic. I especially bring my skill set of thinking critically about the measurement of health-related phenomena across geographic space and time. Clearly understanding where COVID-19 is and when it is increasing or decreasing, is critically important to the public health and societal response that will reduce the morbidity and mortality associated with this virus.

RESEARCH

I lead WeCountCOVID19.com, allowing persons to report their symptoms and testing status confidentially online using a smartphone or computer, in English and Spanish. Muchos gracias to Dr. Amy Olen in the UWM Department of Translation and Interpreting Studies, for the Spanish translation. We focus on the human experience in Milwaukee and Wisconsin, especially marginalized, disadvantaged, and high-risk groups. This research study is conducted under human subjects ethical approvals (IRB) of the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee.

For results and to take the survey, visit:

http://wecountcovid19.com

MEDIA APPEARANCES

Journal Sentinel online news article about We Count COVID-19

UWM Report about We Count COVID-19

Milwaukee Courier about We Count COVID-19

Spectrum News TV interview about We Count COVID-19

Lake Effect radio show of WUWM about We Count COVID-19

WISN TV interview on testing and public health response

Journal Sentinel online about assessing impact of in-person voting