To Trace a Landscape

Nonfiction by Aleigha Kely

In San Diego I spill over the beach like syrup. There’s a tendency to dance, to move quickly across the lush surface. I smile big into the camera and watch fit people run three miles. I swim in the ocean and feel each speck of salt as it merges with my skin. I open my eyes. Catch a jellyfish in the act. Eat the best French toast I’ve ever had.

Passing through Virginia I drink the blackest coffee. I can see trees, speckled soft like broccoli. This part of the drive is refreshing, like jumping into cold river water. I wonder where all the people live. “Somewhere in those trees,” Bell says without looking up. I smile and think about exposed wood houses. I scan the tree line before we hit the tunnels—those stark gold and black entrances I can never quite brace for. When we hit them I feel drunk, dizzy, sheltered.

Reaching Pennsylvania, I brace for rain. I sleep in the car and leave my tent outside to get monsooned. In Pennsylvania the tolls are absurdly expensive, and the entire festival is a mudslide. Abby and I gear up to head outside. When we get there, I can’t take my eyes off Michael. I smoke and watch his light shows one after another. I swear to god the colors get brighter. Purple and orange is by far the best combination. I make a mental note to tell him.

As I’m crossing the street in Illinois, a lit-up fire truck nearly hits me. On the other side of the street, I take my headphones out, and Alex is calling me. I tell him I feel remote, that I nearly died of distraction, that all the worms have dried up on the sidewalk. He says he’s not in town. He’s headed home to see his brother. Later, I go on a drive towards Champagne, chain-smoking and blasting the heat. I like the way smoke unfurls if you let it. I guess I’ve kept waiting for something to happen, for him to say what he’s thinking—maybe I love you, maybe let’s go to IHOP. But we just keep going to that coffee spot, to Donnie’s, to sleep. One night at the piano, I mention leaving. His face says not now, but he tells me that he saw it coming, that I’ve been unhappy for a while. He takes the Solo cup from my hand and places it on the kitchen sink.

In Chicago, I drink vodka quickly in a hotel bathroom. Outside, the snow sweeps like a blindness through the city. I escape into Gucci, to the highest floor of the building where Blackstar is playing through the ceiling. The song is its own environment, a grim death, like sandstone or some biblical desert. On the day of execution, he wouldn’t even smile. All those beautiful clothes remind me that affections are material; that they can be easily tailored.

In Detroit, I adjust my clingy shirt in the summer breeze. Michael and I walk around the city. All I can hear is jazz, but there are never enough horns. We stop at a bar before heading back into the heat. I take all the little pills and yell something down the overflowing street. A man walks right out into the road and I laugh. By the end of the night, I am saturated in blue. The parking garage smells like cigarettes, and the drive out of the city is a gray-washed bleak. I promise myself to never go anywhere ever again.

Back home, I stretch out over Lake Michigan. I imagine the world twisting and swallowing. The brisk air reads healthy in my lungs, and the whitecaps return softly to the water. At the edge of the pier, I say let me go asI turn towards the white and swim out past the buoys, into the pitch of it. I swim down into the coldest parts, open my eyes wide, and propel myself down, further and further.

About the Author:

Aleigha Kely is a junior at Grand Valley State University. She likes horror movies best, and lives in Grand Rapids, Michigan.

You may also like…

Undercurrents

Undercurrents

Nonfiction by Kelly Hao  Some identifying information has been changed. While I was home from college last summer, my Mother briefly mentioned the name of an old friend. It was summer then. The door to the backyard let in gentle breezes as the two of us lounged around...

Buried

Buried

Nonfiction by Halle Collins

August

August

Nonfiction by Emma Carter